PC users - HELP! I can't get past "Verifying DMI Pool Data"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Aug 16, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Okay, all was dandy and I was able to boot from my XP CD on my new PC... but I noticed that it wasn't recognizing the full capacity of my hard drive (said unpartitioned space was only 130000 MB or so when my drive is a 500 GB, as recognized in the bios). I thought something was up so I powered it down and later just decided to go for it.

However, this time, upon booting it up, I can enter my BIOS fine, but after that the computer just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." and does nothing else for eternity. It recognizes changes in the BIOS settings (whenever I change something it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data... Update Success" but beyond that it just SITS THERE.

I can't even install XP! What the hell is going on?! I even tried failsafe BIOS settings, and I even removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard and put it back in. When the checksum error came up I didn't do anything I just let it run the last good BIOS settings... STILL... HANGS AT VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA

I am at my wits end and my blood pressure is sky high at the moment. Thankfully I still have my MacBook but please help me! I do NOT want a very expensive paperweight on my hands.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I did all that, all except resetting UPnP configuration data because I can't find it in my bios.

I even reseated my memory.

Well, XP setup is formatting right now. I could only get it to boot from my optical drive by reordering the boot priority in the BIOS. Maybe it's trying to boot from the HDD but just can't find anything and hangs, instead of going to the optical drive. Which begs the question, why did it work the first time?

So while XP is installing I have two problems: not sure if I can boot without the CD in the future, and my hard drive is apparently only 128 GB.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

How olds the PC? What version of windows? I no that if you didn't have at least Service pack one there were huge limitations on hdd capacity and teh support for Sata drives

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

The hard drive is 500 GB and this is a brand new homebuilt. I got XP installed and it boots now, but I had to use Norton PartitionMagic to create a second partition from the unallocated 400 GB or so. And it sets a leeway so I still have about 100 GB unallocated, and I'm not sure how I'll ever get that. I think I can expand the partition in PartitionMagic but I'm not sure by how much.

Beyond that I think my problems are all solved. I didn't have any OS installed but the only reason I could only access maybe 128 GB of my hard drive at first was probably because the copy of XP I was setting up with was from 1999? I thought installing Service Pack 2 would help but it didn't. XP only wants to recognize formatted, allocated space. I need a third-party program to see where my unallocated HDD space went!

Thanks for all the help though. It's time to get down to the nitty gritty; installing apps and games! :)

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah I think that was your problem...

7. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The worse case scenario, is buy a new copy of XP, with the service packs included.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Better still - make your own XP SP2 CD by slipstreaming the original disk.

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If you install sp2 or sp3, u can then use partition magic to merge the 400gb partition to make it one big drive