Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smoogz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Lafayette, LA
Hey Im a long time listener first time caller... heh

Seriously I'm a long time PC and Windows user. With the release of Vista I'm calling it quits. So I've been researching macs for a few weeks now and have my sights set on a 24" iMac 2.4 GHz.

I've noticed in the forums alot of talk about how the iMacs should be updating soon. Because of there design and architecture I really cant see how Apple could really beef these bad boys up much more than they already are. So if you have any speculations on what this "update" might be feel free to enlighten me please. Cause im itching to buy this beautiful machine but i dont want to buy if there about to make next gen iMac's.

Thanx in advance.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
The iMac is overdue for an update but it's anyone's guess as to when it happens. It might be as soon as next week, it might not be until the end of March.

If you can wait that long, it might be worth it.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

Seriously I'm a long time PC and Windows user. With the release of Vista I'm calling it quits. So I've been researching macs for a few weeks now and have my sights set on a 24" iMac 2.4 GHz.

I've noticed in the forums alot of talk about how the iMacs should be updating soon. Because of there design and architecture I really cant see how Apple could really beef these bad boys up much more than they already are. So if you have any speculations on what this "update" might be feel free to enlighten me please. Cause im itching to buy this beautiful machine but i dont want to buy if there about to make next gen iMac's.

Thanx in advance.

No designed updates that im aware of. The iMacs will be updated in within 6 months. I know that sounds vague. They will for sure be getting Penryn. That would be the biggest, and maybe a GPU. I say shoot for it now, awesome machine. Very powerful. And if they come out with a new one, you could always sell yours on ebay and get the new one.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Look at whats available today, and if you like it, buy it.

All speculation about Apple hardware updates is just that, speculation. The iMac may be updated next tuesday, or it may be another 6 months. Apple updates as they see fit, and they don't usually give advance warning as to whats coming, even if it's nothing.

Look around the forum. Notice all the "MBP's next Tuesday" threads? Threads of that nature started one to two days AFTER the last MBP update. And the day after the next MBP update is released some poor schlub will start a thread in which he asks, " MBP, should I buy now or wait until the Ohmyfreakinggoodgodalmighty chipset is released, hopefully next tuesday?"

Smoogz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Lafayette, LA
Hey thanx for the quick reply's! I'm just gonna get one now because even if the have a Penryn update I'm not lookin to shell out insane amounts of cash for a quad core iMac.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Make the switch, and don't look back.....

Thanx in advance.

Take it from a fellow long time PC and Windows user...when you make the switch you won't regret it. I bought my iMac mid January, followed by a MacBook Air, along with other Apple products. The hardware is magnificent, the OS just works (and works very well), and I am having more fun than I have in a long time. Beware, however, that your journey will start with an iMac and it won't stop there. Apple makes a lot of great products.

Enjoy!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I just moved from PC to Mac in late December. Just do it. Even if Apple updates the iMac in the next year, you still have a darn good machine that will run everything for years to come.

The above poster is correct. Have some extra money set aside. It won't stop with the iMac. I ended up with an iPhone, Apple TV and will soon have a MacBook.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I completely agree with many of the posts here. I was in the same boat as you last July. The only difference was that back then we knew for sure that there was a "major" update coming. I think you still would be safe to buy now. I mean if a new one comes out next week take it back and get that one you got 14 days. Either way it is a very powerful machine none less. I was a 16 year windows vet and went to mac with my new 2.4 GHZ 24" iMac with 2GB RAM that I bought from new egg of course, this is by far the best Computer I have ever owned. But if you follow financial news at all I don't think that there is an upgrade coming anytime really soon. There is all talks about Apple revving up iMac production and slowing down on iPhone production so that should tell you that they are not upgrading it soon.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Take it from a fellow long time PC and Windows user...when you make the switch you won't regret it. I bought my iMac mid January, followed by a MacBook Air, along with other Apple products. The hardware is magnificent, the OS just works (and works very well), and I am having more fun than I have in a long time. Beware, however, that your journey will start with an iMac and it won't stop there. Apple makes a lot of great products.

Enjoy!

I have a colleague who was looking to get his wife a computer. Both are very tech un-savvy. I told him to "Get a Mac", which he did, and his wife signed up for the one-to-one sessions in the store.

That was January. Now it's February, and they've already added a MacBook and Airport Extreme Base Station to their stable of Apple products. Apparently, today, for Valentine's, she is going to get an iPhone.

I work in an office of 15 people. I've converted 5 to Mac and am working on the others.

wehokev

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
You could spend your whole life waiting, just do it...

I had been using PCs since I sold my Amiga in 1991. I switched to Mac last November after about three months of reading MacRumors. I bought the same 24" / 2.4 iMac you are talking about and I really love it. Now I am planning on buying a MacBook Air to replace my 5-year-old PC laptop.

The only problem I have with the Mac is that the current version of Quicken for Mac sucks and moving data from Quicken for Windows to it is problematic, at best. Allegedly, there is a new version of Quicken coming out for the Mac this fall and I hope to move my ten plus years of Quicken (for Windows) data to it then.

FYI, the work around that I use is Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection for Mac (RDC) to connect to my old windows laptop where I "host" Quicken for Windows. The RDC works great to connect to my work computer as well.

Good luck.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
IMO, the next update won't be significant. A faster clockspeed won't make any difference. What would be significant is if the iMac switches over to SSD, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The only problem I have with the Mac is that the current version of Quicken for Mac sucks and moving data from Quicken for Windows to it is problematic, at best. Allegedly, there is a new version of Quicken coming out for the Mac this fall and I hope to move my ten plus years of Quicken (for Windows) data to it then.

Why not run Quicken for Windows in bootcamp (or parallels)? That's what I do. Quicken for Windows is better and cheaper anyway.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I know what you mean about Quicken. It was quite a hassle getting all of my account info over to the Mac. It worked though. Yes, I do have VMWare Fusion with Win XP installed but I'm trying to get away from Windows as much as possible.

The Quicken version for the Mac is definitely different but it's basically the same for balancing the checkbook and such. As long as it works and I'm not using Windows, all it good. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.