PC Video Card for Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tokiacop, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tokiacop macrumors newbie

tokiacop

Hello to everyone again :)

I need some help with this problem. I have and Powermac G4 Ethernet Model with an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition running Leopard. I decide to update my G4 video card and i wanted to get full
    CI and QE, so.. i start to search my options and thanks to the help i find in this forum i decide to get
    an Nvidia 6200 AGP and flash it for my G4.

First, i got and ECS 6200 256 AGP and flash it, i use the only ROM that i found on the web, the one i donwloaded from this page... http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2 . The ROM inside this page is for an XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200, and i know that the PCB and and a few components maybe are different in the ECS Card, but i wanted to try anyway. Flash Success! tape on pins 3 and 11 and my G4 Start OK! But... And here is the but, i can´t reach the OSX desktop. The mac power on ok, i got the spinning wheel with the grey apple mac for 15 sec approximately and in the moment that sholud appear the desktop i get a Blue Screen and nothing more happens! The system is loaded, i know because i can power off the mac with keys combination.

To discard problems with the ECS board i buy and XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200 and make the same process with the exact same result, blue screen !

I test with the 4 roms available in the page but nothing happens, got the blue screen.
    When i boot in safe mode i can reach the desktop! but with no aceleration at all!

What could be the reason that i can´t get full boot with this flashed board ? Any ideas ?
    As you see English is not my first language, sorry for some misspellings

Thanks in advance for your time
    Regards

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Maybe your power supply isn't up to the task? Tried running just an install disk?

3. tokiacop thread starter macrumors newbie

tokiacop

Hello 128keaton , thanks for your answers. Yes! i tried an install disk, leopard DVD, and got the same problem! The only
    different is that instead a blue screen after 20 25 seconds the spinning wheel stops and the image stay freeze and nothing more happens..

4. tokiacop thread starter macrumors newbie

tokiacop

I forgot to say .. that i put in the ATI 9000 Pro and reinstall Leopard for just in case, then i put it back the XFX 6200 and
    same problem.

So... you say that could be a power supply problem ?

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yes, it could be. If you've tried generic software (you did, good job :)) and your original hardware, then the power supply is a definite possibility. Did you do a PRAM reset (CMD+OPT+P+R on start, hold until second chime) and SMC reset (small button on logic board close to PRAM battery)? If you haven't done these, then it could be a possibility. If your power supply is going (quite a possibility, since these machines aren't young), you can either replace your PSU with a refurbished one or getting a standard ATX PC PSU -> http://atxg4.com/gige-da.html

Also,if you don't mind, could we use the information you've gathered on the Apple Wiki?

6. tokiacop thread starter macrumors newbie

tokiacop

Yes! I forgot to say too! I do PRAM reset and SMC reset, and also change the battery for a new one.
    Good! I gone to replace the PSU then and see whats happens and post here the results.
    Thanks for your advice! :)

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

No problem. If your logic board is gone, they aren't too $$$ on eBay.

8. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

the Geforce 6200 can be quite pokey at times (for example it doesn't work in a MDD) I doubt anything is wrong with your G4 it Just might not like your 6200 I would also try running 10.4.11 see if you get the same problem

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

But, his original card has stopped working.

10. tokiacop thread starter macrumors newbie

tokiacop

I test the Tiger option with my XFX 6200 Flashed Card and exactly like the Leopard DVD Install Disc the Tiger DVD Install Disk it hangs too...:(

I gonna to try PSU anyway, but beyond that.. For a Plan B... Do you know any PC Video Card to Flash it, that has been tested on a Gigabit Ethernet G4 to recommend ?

11. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Nvidia 6200 has a temperature diode on it that can cause Leopard and sometimes Tiger to pause at the blue screen for a few minutes. This is normal. You can fix it by removing a kext or flashing a ROM that has the diode disabled.

13. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

Interesting knew it caused issues in Leopard did not know it caused issues in tiger at times. I believe the macelite wiki has a 6200 ROM with the temperature diode part disabled

14. tokiacop thread starter macrumors newbie

tokiacop

Thanks for you answers, i try the 2 roms with temp sensor fix and kext remove solution but nothing happens, always get blue screen.
    It could be the reason of my problem that i want to use this XFX 6200 in my G4 with an 2X AGP Port ?