PC viruses on virtual PC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by briegull, Jan 21, 2009.

1. briegull macrumors newbie

I tend to keep my macbook pro, bought a year ago, on more or less constantly, putting it to sleep at night. I frequently have VMware Fusion running XP on it then. I almost never access the internet on the PC side (unless I'm checking the compatibility of a web page).

My router has a firewall on it.

I use gmail and follow the usual precautions against opening strange documents, etc. (I also have a supplemental fan sitting under it)

I have no virus or malware or spyware protection on either the mac or the PC, although I do run occasional checks for them and have never found anything suspicious.

my question: am I living dangerously by having the pc "running" all the time? or the mac?

2. akbc macrumors 6502

If it's just "running" then it should be okay. As long as you don't visit dangerous sites.

I've never used any anti-virus software on my 2 year old PC laptop and my other desktops at home... I'm totally fine with them.

All I do is run Windows Defender (Vista) or some spyware... just in case some sites I visit aren't nice. Haha.