pc vs mac help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by louiefern, Nov 23, 2007.

1. louiefern macrumors newbie

whats up people...i need some info. i had p.c for a long time. and want to get into a mac. but been a little hesitant,because dont know if i'll be able use it as easy as my p.c. and if it will work ok with my linksys home network. any input is welcomed

2. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

well as a recent switcher ill chime in with my 2 cents. I had nothing but PCs for 10 years, but i was intrigues with all the software integraion that came with OS X. I plaed with the macs at the store whenever i was at the mall, and i had always wanted an iPod. So i bought an iPod video, and i loved it. I wanted an iMac for a few months, but then decided a macbook was better suited for my needs.

So i finally got the money saved up and bought one a wek after the santa rosa update. From the time i opened the box, turned it on, and was setup and online within 3 minutes, i knew i had made the right decision. I have never had emailing pictures, making websites, uploading albums be so easy to do. What used to be a chore i would avoid till i needed the files now is something i plug in and ODX does in the background.

Also, as soon s i turned it on, it found 3 different wireless networks around my home, one of them being a linksys, so no worries there

I have now had it three weeks, but it feels like i have lived with it forever. The only thing i worried about with the switch was playing WMP videos, since all my video files are that. I installed Flip4Mac, took about 5 seconds, and now all WMP files from my HD or the internet open in quicktime.

So all in all, no regrets switching. I just wish i could have switched sooner. Now, your needs are probably different than mine. I use my macbook for photo editing, sorting, website creation, music, internet, im dabbling in video editing, and mail. So far its handled everything ive thrown at it, but definately do your research, just like with any major purchase.

This is now the longest post ive ever done here.

3. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

You can always run Windows on your Mac while you're getting used to OS X, which isn't hard to do at all. Its about a billion times easier to use OS X compared to Windows, so really you need to de-tune your brain from the complicated, unefficient world of Windows. Go Mac, I guarantee you will not regret it.

4. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

the switch really isn't that hard, i bought a mac computer after only messing around on a store's display mac for a few days,

you will get used to the new controls and trust me they are way easier to get used to than window's

MAC RULES, sorry had to say it :D

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It will suck, because it will likely work better and configure far more easily than your PC.

However, check to make sure there is a printer driver in Leopard for your printer.

At worst, installing Windows on your Mac should bring back the dreams of easy PC maintenance for you.

6. techlectics macrumors newbie

First time mac user.... my experience.

I'm a long time Windows user and am somewhat locked in because I rely heavily on Microsoft Access which is not available for the Mac. Fortunately I did not let that stop me and bought a Mac anyway. I've had it for a little over three weeks and am now totally sleep deprived because I can't get enough of my new Mac. Most applications are easy to use, work well and the overall experience is just plain fun. I spend most of my day at the computer in my home office and am already finding many tasks are easier and faster.

There is however a steeper learning curve than I expected. Many things are done differently on the Mac. For example I'm still having trouble adjusting to the menu bar which is always at the top of the screen instead of being attached to the applications and sometimes I end up quitting the wrong program. There are many little things like that which are annoying or frustrating, but it's more because I have done these things a different way for so many years.

I installed VM Ware and am running Windows on my Mac so that I can continue to use Ms Access and a few other Windows-only Apps. I am totally amazed at how well virtualization works. Even better, today I discovered Microsoft's Remote Desktop for the Mac. It lets you connect to your Windows computer over a network and have your Windows desktop appear in a window on your Mac. This app is free and can be downloaded from Apple at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/remotedesktopconnectionclient.html

With Remote Desktop I keep my old PC turned on and I have immediate access to my old applications and files as I transition them to the Mac. I've even disconnected the monitor from the old PC.

I'm very satisfied, in fact I just ordered an iMac to give my wife for Christmas.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I switched in February, after using Windows since 3.11, and DOS before that.

The good news I can give to all you recent switchers is that the excitement doesn't wear off as soon as you might think. I still look forward, with great anticipation, to sitting down in front of my Mac every day. Simply put, I've never been this happy with a computer for this long.

With that said, I still don't believe a Mac is the right choice for everyone. For example, if you have no interest in anything but gaming, Windows is probably a better choice for you. If you're in an employment situation that requires you to keep up with the latest Windows software, sticking with Windows might be a better path for you.

louiefern, if you could tell us what you want to do on your next computer, we'll do our best to give unbiased answers.

8. louiefern thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your input...it is really helping....what i mostly go on is internet,online banking, home networking, ipod,pics,dont really play games got my ps3 for that.the wife uses microsoft word and excel can i still install those programs?

9. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

You can only install Windows software on Windows so if you have MS Office for Windows you would have to install it on your Windows partition, however, they do make MS Office for Mac, and there is a special offer that if you buy it now for OS X you can get Office '08 for OS X for the price of shipping when it comes out.

10. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Ok, this may sound ridiculous, but the hardest thing for me to get used to is the icons for enlarging and minimizing the windows being in the upper left hand corner instead of right.

11. r88my macrumors regular

Sounds like a mac is perfect for you to use for these things. Is it easy? YES :) Of course stuff is different but in terms of picking it all up its a breeze and an enjoyable experience. I too am a switcher. You should consider iWork 08 as an alternative to word/excel/powerpoint because for home needs its alot easier to use and probably alot cheaper.

12. Darth Xena macrumors newbie

That's what I did and it didn't take long for me to give Windows the boot from my personal computing life. I have to use it for work. And hate it.

13. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    what i mostly go on is internet,online banking, home networking, ipod,pics,dont really play games got my ps3 for that.the wife uses microsoft word and excel can i still install those programs?

Go mac. MS office suite for mac is almost always better than the windows version, (according to reviews I've read..) and the way my iMac's work for everyday digital life is far and away easier, more intuitive --- much less of my life is required to get the computer to perform the functions I need when I am using my mac. One big plus is that the mac always looks better at what it is doing, which most people seem to like a lot too.

It does things, works great, looks incredible doing it.