PC wireless modem to Mac AirPort... help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tigerfan88, Apr 25, 2008.

1. tigerfan88 macrumors newbie

tigerfan88

I've posted before about a problem with this, but now I'm right back at square one.
    My partners main houshold computer is a PC, and its modem has wireless capabilities, although it is connected to the PC via ethernet (a yellow cable that looks like a phone cord). If the info is of any use, it is a Siemens Speed Stream 6500 series. The internet on the PC works just fine.
    At one point, We managed to get AirPort to recognise the wireless signal, but now it doen't pick it up.
    We have looked at all sorts of settings, but unfortunately, I don't know much about internet settings and I dont want to mess too much with what exists so as not to ruin whats already there.
    If anyone could help with this problem, I would be eternally grateful. I miss my using mac so much :)

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not sure how learned you are on the topic of wireless networks on Macs so ill just start with the basics.

firstly make sure Airport (wireless) is turned on by looking at the Airport icon in the menu bar. when it has no bars its off, when it has grey bars its on but is not connected/hasnt found a network and when it has black bars its on and connected to a network.

all you have to do to connect to the PC's wireless network is turn on Airport, click the Airport icon, choose the SSID which is the name of PC's wireless network (ask your buddy) and then input the password (also ask your buddy).
    you should then be connected and be able to surf Safari.

if not open the Network Preferences in System Preferences and in Airport click "Assist Me" and then "Diagnostics". which dots are red and what does it say?

3. tigerfan88 thread starter macrumors newbie

tigerfan88

the red lights start at AirPort settings. which it says have failed. I have tried connecting through both PPPoE and DHCP with all the account names and settings we know of, and still nothing...?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok so its your Airport settings then. connecting to a wireless router is very easy so there maybe theres just a few niggles in your Network preferences. dont use PPPoE as thats dialup.

my setup is very similar to yours so use my Airport settings as a guide. click the Advanced button in Network Preferences to open the window blind to get into the Aiport and TCP/IP tabs. your IPv4 & Router address maybe different to mine when "Using DHCP" is selected as it depends on your router. dont worry about the DNS, WINS, AppleTalk, 802.1X & Proxies tabs.

Screencapture 5.jpg Screencapture 2.jpg Screencapture 3.jpg