PC won't print to Mac shared printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OJCamero, Feb 21, 2009.

1. OJCamero macrumors newbie

I have read the instructions on these forums for using a Mac shared printer via a PC across a network. I followed the instructions step by step. Made a custom TCP/IP port on the PC. Assigned my Mac's IP address 192.16.1.101 as the location of the printer. Made sure protocol was set to RAW. Everything should work but the print job never makes it to the Mac. The print que on the PC shows error and the print que on the Mac never shows anything. I decided to delete all the printers on the PC, plug it in directly to the printer via usb and let it install the drivers, print test page etc... After that I reconnected the printer to the mac, pc to the network and just changed the port on the printer properties to reflect the IP address. It still didn't work. I can't seem to find any more information on what to do next. The PC is running Win XP and the Mac is on Leopard. Another thing, how does the PC know which printer to use if the Mac has two attached? I disabled sharing on the other printer thinking the PC might have been confused but it did not help.

2. Kyan macrumors newbie

PC/Mac Ptinting

You might find it easier to install Bonjour on both Mac and PC and just open printer sharing. It should work like a charm assuming you have a home network.
    Kyan

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The MacOS X Finder Help menu explains clearly how to share printers with Windows. Read it to ensure that you have done everything correctly.

Bonjour is an integral part of MacOS X. It it is a really good idea to install it on Windows, but it is already operational on the Mac.