PC x1900 ROM flash for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tuartboy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I have been reading up a bit on the x1900 ROM flashes for PC video cards and I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with this process and can tip me in on where to look for the exact card needed.

I am going to be purchasing the refurb 2.66 MP tomorrow with the stock 7300 and I would like to upgrade the card in the near future. I do not, however, want to pay apple prices for an already out-of-date video card.

I know this is a tad preemptive, but can we expect that the x1900 replacement (whenever she arrives in the MP lineup) will be flashable as well? In other words, is there something inherent only in the x1900 that allowed this or is it a technique that can be applied to other cards as well?

Thanks!

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Seems the consensus of that thread is that it is not possible, but I have seen other reports that it is possible to flash the ROM and have it be identical to the Apple version with no need for extra drivers.

ROM Flashing Tutorial

4. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

A search for "x1900" turns up nothing.

Thanks anyway!

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Where can X1900 video cards be found? It seems everyone is only carrying the X1950s which do not work...