PC133 SDRAM Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bam1234567, Feb 16, 2008.

1. bam1234567 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a 500Mhz Pismo with 384MB PC133 SDRAM. One is a standard 256MB, nothing out of the ordinary, but the other is a 128MB Module with 16 Chips. it is twice as big as the 8 Chip Modules, because the Chips are the same size, so they just extended the depth. Now, would it be faster to put in a normal 8-Chip Module because it has less chips to find, or slower because, well.. I have no idea why I'd be slower, maybe heat, or the same speed? Thanx Guys.
    ~Paul

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be any functional difference. Practical speed is determined by the bus speed, which will be identical, and to a much smaller degree may also be affected by latency, which you'd have to compare directly.

RAM isn't like a hard drive where a head needs to "seek" to the correct location, so as far as I've ever heard the only real advantage to less chips is that it's physically thinner and cheaper to manufacture.

I suppose the thickness might have some heat implications, but I doubt it's going to make any difference on a Pismo one way or the other.

3. bam1234567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aight, thanx man, I think I'll throw in my CL2, it's shorter as well. The big one is CL3.
    Oh and the same thing is with my PDQ, which I have overclocked to 466Mhz, what do you suggest there? The more chips the cooler, or the less?