PCBA, MLB Replaced for $1322.50

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kstoudt, Jun 18, 2010.

1. kstoudt macrumors newbie

My macbook 15" died last Sunday, took to Genius Bar for repair, the tech said she was not sure exactly the problem as she was not getting any error codes. Long story short, just picked up laptop and cost was $1,187.50 for the PCBA MLB part number 661-4955 and $133.00 for repair. All was covered by Apple Care (which expires in Sept)

The Genius Bar rep said he if would have been cheaper in the long run to just replace the laptop with a new one..

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

so.... get apple care everybody?

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

the thing is, it doesn't cost apple anything to warranty a machine, as long as they can isolate it to a specific part. They just pass along the warranty to the original manufacture of that part. Applecare is amazing though.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Applecare rocks, is the best investment you can pay for...

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol. it would've been nice if the OP couldve stated their intentions :p

6. kstoudt thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably should have worded the post better

The title says it all. my intent of the post was to post the experience and cost of the replacement of the logic board. I was surprised at the cost and how in the opinion of the guy at my local apple store that it would have been cheaper in the long run to give me a new laptop rather then spend this amount on a 3 year old computer..

In this case I was happy to have apple care cover the costs, otherwise I would have had a dead computer, I wouldn't have paid that amount..

Kurt

7. nexus14 macrumors member

seems like the repair price was over-inflated

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Maybe applecare is covered by a insurance policy... :D

9. unkdirkpitt macrumors newbie

I had the same sort of situation happen to me. I'll post again when I have an update from the AASP and I can explain the situation in detail here as well.

Right now I don't want to get ahead of myself, I don't have my Macbook Pro back in my hands yet. haha

10. unkdirkpitt macrumors newbie

Well a Logic Board is every component in the system except for the display, drives, wifi (in most cases), battery, case. So essentially all the expensive stuff is on it. :(

11. unkdirkpitt macrumors newbie

To update my situation.

I took the macbook pro in, the apple genius said that it wasn't covered under the 'nvidia' defect's warranty and said that I could buy a new system, or look elsewhere for a logic board, or pay approx $1500. I made a purchase based on their advice (new iMac), any laptop replacement would have cost $3000 or more based on the features i needed.

Anyways, all was good, but I decided to take the system in for a second opinion (Apple repair center instead of a genius bar) after reading forums. It turned out that the 'genius' was 100% incorrect, I did have the 'Nvidia' defect and they repaired my Macbook free of charge.

So 2 things to say.

1. APPLECARE is your friend, it would have saved me a hastle.
    2. Even a 'genius' can be wrong, I suggest always getting a second opinion.

My only gripe is, I blew $2014 based on their 'genius' advice. I'd have a new iPad instead of an iMac now, and more money in the bank. heh

12. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

You were doing great until the last sentence.:)

That's a pretty ridiculous statement considering most knowledgeable investors would tell you the exact opposite. Compared to other extended warranties it does have a better value, but it is hardly "the best investment you can pay for".

So, the logic board does NOT house even close to "every component"... :confused:

I'm sorry but this thread is full of fail.

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Yes, finally someone who gets it. Applecare is just insurance. It follows that for most consumers, Applecare is an expense, not an investment.

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Did the Genius run that nvidia graphics test? You didn't mention that part. If they didn't then yeah maybe they were wrong. They could have also offered you a flat rate repair for around 300 bucks for your computer which would have fixed it.

Sounds like not all the facts are here.

15. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Yup. I had a graphics car problem and had to get the entire logic board replaced.

16. unkdirkpitt macrumors newbie

If that is in response to my post.

Yes, the genius ran the nvidia test. Also, they would have had to in order to inform me that it wasn't the Nvidia defect. :D

As for the flat rate repair of $300, is that with applecare? I did not have applecare and they said that the larger $1500 or $1200 repair (to be honest I can't remember the exact value, but it was in that range) was the cost of replacing the logic board including install. I'm actually GLAD they didn't offer me a $300 flat rate repair, as the part was indeed defective.

The machine is running like new and apple is in the process of being notified of what happened as a whole.

17. honeydipt macrumors newbie

pcba mlb replaced

Apparently they are having a problem with that.

I just got my machine back, my 2007 MBP screen went kablewy and they still fixed it no charge. (You can only get Apple Care for 2 years.) Which was a good thing, as it has spent most of it's life in the closet, only going on trips with me and an occasional coffee shop.

Apple store San Diego zeroed out the $902 bill.:apple: