PCI Card for PowerMac G3 B&W

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scottyb70, Dec 5, 2014.

1. scottyb70 macrumors newbie

I am having a hard time finding a PCI card so I can install a 3.5 inch Floppy drive on my Apple G3, any recommendations?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would recommend using a USB floppy. It will have better support when used with OS X.

3. scottyb70 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing, but I am running 8.6 and it won't recognize my USB ports. It says not enough power to use USB. I will mostly be running 8.6 or 9.2 anyways. I can't find the drivers for these OS 's and I don't have the original disk to help install the driver.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Are you plugging the floppy directly into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer, or are you plugging it into an(unpowered) hub such as the one on the keyboard? Usually the message you're seeing is related to drawing too much power off one USB port. Plugging directly into the computer will generally remedy it.

When I need a floppy drive with my B&W, I use an Imation USB LS120 drive. This will function as a normal floppy drive, but also has the ability to read and write LS120 "Superdisks"(a competitor to Zip disks back in the day). Imation actually made them in a blue and white pinstripe color scheme that matched the original iMac and B&W G3, and there were a LOT sold back in the day to go along with these machines. These also have their own wall wart power supply so there should be no power issues.

OS 8.6 and 9.2 have no issues with mass storage devices, and I've also had zero issues getting either OS to recognize USB floppy drives(you may need to download a driver from Apple's website to get 8.6 for USB thumb drives).

If you badly need a floppy drive, it might be worth your effort to look for a beige G3. These have built-in floppy drives, although they don't work under OS X. The beige G3 are old world ROM Macs and have all the classic Mac connectivity goodies including ADB, SCSI(internal and external), and serial ports. You can easily install a USB and/or Firewire card in one if you need either of these.

5. scottyb70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using the G3 to run a drum scanner. If this G3 fails I have the original floppy disks with the software that is used to run the scanner. I am building another G3 right now so I don't have a problem in the future for back up.

I was looking at the 1X Lacie Floppy Disk Drive on ebay. I noticed they have them with a driver so I hope I works. I will look into the one you recommended me.

I am using 8.6 right now, when I plugged my usb card into the back of the computer 8.6 told me need to install a driver for the usb to work. I will have to try it again, and take a picture. It even happened when I used a powered portable hard drive. I don't know if it was because the portable drive was old or what.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You might try downloading and installing this

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1265

It will allow you to read USB mass storage devices(like flash drives) under 8.6. If your G3 is not connected to the internet, you can dump it onto a ZIP disk if your computer has a ZIP drive. Otherwise, burn it to a CD. Whichever way you do it, I'd suggest leaving in its compressed form-the G3 should be able to sort it out. Otherwise, just upgrade it to 9.2 and most of these issues should get sorted out.