Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi all,

I'm searching for a PCI (X) to usb 2.0 (4 or 5 usb ports) and network card for my PCI-X G5. A PCI-X network card can be purchased from Apple for 99 USD, but I wouldn't need gigabit ethernet. PCI-X is only extended PCI, so could you theoretically put every PCI card in the PCI-X G5? I already did a bit of research, and found out that I couldn't put any PCI card in it (some manufacturers even mention it that their cards do not support a G5), because of the controller of the card which needs 5 volts, the G5 only gives 3.3 volts. Does any of you have any experience which brand/cards to buy?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Just got a reply from Belkin Technical Support saying that their pci to usb card, the 5 port cards, F5U220, should work in a G5. Maybe I will pick up one of those. Does anyone have experience with this card?

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I've tried a couple of brands of USB 2.0 card that both were unreliable (built in ports not working, ports on cinema display suddenly not working). I don't think I've tried a Belkin card and would be interested to hear if anyone has used one successfully. I've tried a Sonnet Allegro and an SIIG card. I think they had NEC chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.