Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has the lack of a PCI-Express ATI video card affected your Dual Core purchase?

• Nope, nVidia is the way to go.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I'd prefer ATI, but have to buy a G5 NOW.

• I'd prefer ATI, so I'll hold off as long as I can.

• ATI all the way! Won't buy a G5 til they release a PCI-E card.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No preference either way.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Too late, I already ordered my G5!

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Bastich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Just wondering what everybody thinks of the current offerings available for the Dual-Core line of PowerMacs. Has the lack of an ATI card affected your purchase?

B)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not in the market right now, but I certainly wouldn't want an nVidia card with one unless it was the standard card.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
bousozoku said:
I'm not in the market right now, but I certainly wouldn't want an nVidia card with one unless it was the standard card.
just out of curiosity what's wrong with nvidia?
all my video cards so far have been ati but that's just because they've either come built-in or were the best price v performance solution. dont really care either way :D
oh, and i'm not in the market for a dual-core but meh :/

Bastich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Does anyone else find it odd that the low-end PowerMac has more video card options than the high-end?

B)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Bastich said:
Does anyone else find it odd that the low-end PowerMac has more video card options than the high-end?

B)
Nope, as it's only one more option. And that's the low end default option. And it's only a $50(US) price difference.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Bastich said:
Just wondering what everybody thinks of the current offerings available for the Dual-Core line of PowerMacs. Has the lack of an ATI card affected your purchase?

B)
The lack of an ATI option isn't an issue. What's the real issue (to me at least) is that the 7800GT isn't avaiable to go with the initial Quad shipments.

If the 6600 proves to be not enough, I'll order a 7800 and if I decide I want a secondary display, I might use the 6600 for that. (The secondary display will not be anywhere near as large as the main display.)

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I switched...

Bastich said:

B)

>>>Graphics performance choices on the Apple PMs were one of the main reasons I bought a PC workstation from Boxxtech with a FX3450. Now, I have BIG needs in this department...3d. That said, i think it's great Apple has FINALLY offered a Pro graphics card. (First time ever! Can you believe that???) Unfortunately, the new PM's only offer the FX 4500 in the Pro arena...overkill for me since I'm mostly an animator, don't need 3d stereo, etc...and the GeForce cards are GAMING cards...not good enough for me. (Can one be satisfied with a 7800gt doing Maya? yes..but it's not a "Pro" card.)
ATI is not a good choice for working with Maya...so that choice is based on my main app.
Also, the gpu drivers are optimized for the PCs...they are NOT for the Macs...which is a bummer. Buy a FX4500 ($$$) with a slightly crippled driver??? No thanks.

just my thoughts...

peace

Bastich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Whoops...

Interesting news item today: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Seems the 10.4.3 update breaks openGL on some nVidia cards. I wonder if this is why many people prefer ATI's products. They seem to work more closely with Apple and offer more driver updates.

B)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'll probably be getting a quad with a 7800 - but I'm going to wait until things are actually shipping - which means late December, early January. There might be more options by then - its too far in the future to tell right now.

D

Bastich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
risc said:
Where is the "I already own an AGP Power Mac, BRING ON MACTEL!" option?

Hmmm... I guess it doesn't apply to you, since you're not in the market for a PowerPC Mac. We'l have to post another poll when the Macintels come out, and there's still no ATI cards.

B)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.