Pci Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GenericMacName, May 1, 2009.

1. GenericMacName macrumors newbie

About four months ago i bough my first mac, A mac pro:cool:
    Specs: early 2008 model 3.2 ghz
    16 gb ram
    ATI radeon (I believe this was the spelling)

IT WAS (and still is) AWESOME:D

But i have a big problem:mad::(:confused:
    :mad::)confused::mad:
    AND NO MATTER HOW MANY SMILIES I PUT IT WON'T GO AWAY:mad:
    I do alot.. alot... ALLOOOTT... of animation
    the ati just wouldn't cut it for rendering
    So I bought a 8800 (gt) and went to install it
    everything went smooth Ive done similar procedures on the PC
    And Then.... SNAP!:eek:
    And i'm like "OH SNAP"
    I broke the retaining clip getting the Radeon out
    I had to put something there, and the geforce was better so in it went, AND IT WONT COME OUT!!!!!!!
    IS there any alternative way to release the card
    Or is there any component such as a fan, i could remove to give me better access?
    I really want to put in the upcoming 285 mac edition

So you could ask the reasonable question "why and put it in the second slot"
    THIS IS WHERE THE NIGHTMARE REALLY BEGINS
    I put a 280 GTX there.... I CAN'T GET IT OUT EITHER!!!!!!
    It's an EVGA 280 GTX For the win edition, and i cant seem to reach the Clip

As much as i love my Mac I am starting to feel like I should have stuck with my alienware for gaming (two 295 SLI, BEATS CRYSIS TO A PULP:cool:) But i really want another (moderetly) good gaming computer so that I play L4D in LAN

I'm droning...

Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What you mean, it won't come out? :confused: If you've broke the PCIe retainer, there shouldn't be anything holding the card in it's slot, apart from the screw retainer at the end of the card. That plastic retainer is only to ensure the card(s) stay in place if the system is transported..

To remove cards from the slot, you simply flex the plastic clip from the underside of the card or try to reach it with your fingers and easy it upwards. Does that help?

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, that tab-lock is just there so the card won't wiggle loose if you apply pressure here and there to the connectors on the front of the card (the face).

You can see them pretty good here or see the attachment below:

[​IMG]

And they hook around the tab-key on the card. Here you can see it as the little booty shaped tab on the back of the card.

[​IMG]

Before I install a card I usually try to bend the tab-lock as far out as I can. I actually hope it will break off but they're usually too tuff and never do (for me). I hate that lock & key idea - always problematic. Grrr! :) Pre-bending it like this will usually defeat it or at least limber it up some. :D

Anyways, if yours broke then it probably broke on the left side of that booty's toe part and the card will be free to remove. If there's still a part of the tab-lock hooked around the tab-key then you're going to have to get a finger in there and bend it out to free up the card.

Do not use anything that could scratch or damage the MB if your finger won't fit for some reason. And if that's the case you might be able to remove the front fan assembly. But I'm not 100% sure if you can do that or not with the cards still in place. I'm only like, 90% sure you still can. :p

Anyway to remove that just remove all of your hard drives and look inside. You'll see a single screw on one corner - and that's all there is holding it in place. Remove the screw and pull straight up wiggling it slightly as you do. With that out of the way you should be able to fit a finger in to grab the tab.

If your finger still won't fit get an old tooth-brush and heat up the end of the handle till you can bend it around and flatten the tip in order to make a "special tool" that will work for this purpose without damaging your MB. Dip the tool in cold water to harden it more quickly after you shape it.

Attached Files:

4. GenericMacName thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks For The Help! I got it out and did what i should have from the begining... BROKE EVERY FRICKEN CLIP OFF!!!
    Works like a charm!

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That's ok till you move the machine about.

6. GenericMacName thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll just take the card out, if that ever occurs, it will most likely live on the same table for 2 years and then be replaced by the 2010 model:cool:

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, they shouldn't come loose. A bump or jar hard enough to loosen them from their socket would likely break things anyway.

If I remember my history correctly this practice started on AGP and was added because some manufacturers produced boards that were thinner than normal. This caused a wave of customer complaints which was answered in quite short order by clips like that. Also sometimes a top pressure brace apparatus tho I don't see those any longer. I guess there aren't any more thin boards being produced (???) but I suppose it makes some sense again with the weight of the newer cards - some of which have heavy heat-pipes, fans, and cowls. Good retailers and VARs will often ship such cards uninstalled and have the user install them just for that weight reason tho so... <shrug>

8. shiny-blanket macrumors member

Same thing happened to me during a clean out. Got just my finger to apply some pressure on the release, but it wouldn't come out. It snapped off without a massive amount of force.
    Would applecare cover the cost to replace it? Would it require a full board replacement or can the pci be replaced?

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That should be covered by Apple Care IMO. Of course you'll have to ask them about that. I know they don't like to service user misuse or abuse issues tho so who knows.

And yeah, that would be a new motherboard.

10. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Yeah, those PCI-E retaining clips are BY FAR the worst design I've ever seen... Like you've I've snapped a few in my day. Usually the heat sinks on the cards stick out so far that it's nearly impossible to get your finger on them and the plastic is so thin that they're easy to break. I've seen a few manufacturers use a slightly different design, but again, it's a "small space, big fingers, can't see what you're doing" issue.

You could TRY to use something small and stiff (think heavy duty paperclip) to push the what's left of the back slide of the clip out of the retention hole on the card.... But you gotta be VERY careful that you don't slip and scratch any of the traces on the card itself.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Definitely don't scratch/cut any traces.

Best not to use metal, if at all possible. I've actually used a bamboo chopstick with success. The plastic dental mirrors available (eBay and a few electronic supply places carry) can work wonders. ;) Cheap, and non-conductive. :)