PCI SATA card with ATAPI functionality for G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macuser453787, Mar 1, 2013.

1. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

I have a Digital Audio G4 running 10.5.8 and I may be interested in switching over to SATA for the optical drive (just because, really). Does anyone know of any compatible PCI cards that use the ATAPI command set for doing that (and maybe at least an extra port or three so that I don't have to use an entire PCI slot just to have optical SATA), or are there otherwise any viable options? I've looked online pretty extensively before and couldn't find much of anything that wasn't too expensive to make it worth doing.

2. macuser453787 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand that, because tech support for Firmtek (the maker of this card) has directly told me over the phone that it does not support ATAPI devices. Something about not having the right chipset IIRC. This was about 2 years ago. I don't know why Sonnet/OWC lists it as supporting ATAPI on their website.

After some recent online searching, I had decided on the SeriTek/1V4, because I thought that was my only option for SATA ATAPI support via PCI.

I already own 2 of those cards and have actually tried hooking up a SATA CD/DVD drive to them, without success. Maybe I was using an incompatible device...?

Can anyone weigh in on this and let me know if they have successfully used the Tempo SATA card with an ATAPI device?

3. Laterne macrumors newbie

Of course the SONNET TSATA PCI 2-port and the identical SERITEK FIRMTEK 1S2 card offers full ATAPI support. :) I had both tested with different IDE (plus PATA to SATA adapter) and SATA Superdrives for CD and DVD operations. Firmware version 5.0.9 in each case.

4. macuser453787 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I never did get it to work. No problem though - I have since moved on to a Mac Pro and am no longer using or working on the G4. :)