PCI SATA for less then $40 or Flashing one for PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GRMrGecko, Jan 20, 2010.

1. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Hello, is there such a thing as a SATA PCI card for less then $40 that works with PowerMac G4? I'm thinking in getting one and a 250GB hard drive as the computer can only read 128GB hard drives that are IDE... Also I heard about flashing cards for mac support, but I have no idea how that would work and I wanted to know how, if you can answer that question, that'll be great:D I saw in a review here that this guy flashed this $14 card and got it working on his G4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16815280004.

Thanks,
    Mr. Gecko

2. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Typically the ones that are $40 or less are non-bootable. All the G4s produced after 2002 support the big drives(larger than 128gb). Now you can still use them it just will show up as a 128gb drive.

There is a member on this forums selling a PCI SATA 4 port for $60 which is a very good deal IMO and it supports RAID and it's bootable. They are usually only 2 ports and are more expensive from the ones I've seen listed.

The only flashing that I"m aware of is flashing PC graphics cards to work on the G4s.

4. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

5. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

6. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

The card was PCI I think. The G5 is PCI-X, but that makes no difference.