Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I recently got a Brother HL-5250DN laser printer and it has OS9 drivers so suddenly the old OS9 software (Apple Writer, Office98, etc.) is suddenly useful again which got my interest in playing around with OS9 again.

I've been considering adding a cheap PCI video card to my PowerMac purely for OS9 use (i.e. my ATI 9800 Pro has no acceleration under OS 9 at all and windows movement is pretty choppy compared even to my old ATI Rage 128 AGP card). I would plug the card into my 22" LCD monitor's 2nd input (VGA; the 9800 is plugged into the DVI input). The question is whether this will negatively affect OS X having a 2nd video card installed and if so, could it be somehow disabled in OS X but running in OS 9? I just want to run some old games and other software in OS 9 and it's not really important (just to play with really) and I do not really want to affect OS X performance.

Also, does anyone know if the iMic product works in OS 9? I've seen some conflicting information in this regard. My replacement CPU seems to have caused sound issues in OS 9 (i.e. I get no sound unless I reset my PRAM first before booting into OS9, which requires reloading the NewerTech pram settings and is a pain to do each time). If I could just plug in an iMic and get sound, it'd avoid that issue. NewerTech has no answers why it does that, but I've found some evidence it's common with the G4 Digital Audio in general (with or without a replacement CPU, but I don't recall it having that issue before upgrading).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.