PCI Video Cards For MDD & G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robertdsc, Feb 27, 2014.

1. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

After a lot of study and some nosing around eBay, I took the plunge and bought a 32 MB ATI Rage 6 PCI video card with VGA, DVI, and S-Video. When it came, I first tested it on my testbed G4 MDD Dual 1.0 with satisfactory results.

I then transplanted the card to my G5 Dual 2.0 and it works fine.

After working with a triple monitor setup between the stock G5's ATI Radeon 9600 XT and the Rage 6, I'm a little disappointed that the Rage 6 doesn't work as well as I had hoped it would. It works fine and I can see my HP 19 inch widescreen monitor without issue, but the lack of Quartz Extreme support makes things a little choppy for wallpaper transitions and other things.

My question is this: what 64 MB PCI cards are out there and can be recomended? Any info would be appreciated.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might want to try an ATI Radeon 9200. I got one at eBay auction for $15. I was the only bidder. 128MB ram, VGA/DVI/S-Video. Came out of a guy's B&W G3 and works perfect in my G4.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The best PCI card for non-OS 9 Macs is the GeForce 5200. It can natively do CoreImage on Leopard and can come with 256MB ram, DVI, S-Video, and VGA. Only problem is you'll have to flash it yourself. The 256MB ones are slightly faster than Apple's OEM GeForce 5200's, plus have 3x the ram.

4. robertdsc thread starter macrumors regular

robertdsc

OK. I'll give both cards a look. I wound up removing the Rage 6 card from the G5 as its use was giving small issues, like clicks in audio feed when moving things around on the screen and the aforementioned lack of QuartzExtreme. Once I toss one of the above cards in, I hope things smooth out some. Thanks.