PCI-X on $2000 PM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joecool85, Aug 6, 2005.

  1. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    Do you think the $2000 PM will ever get PCI-X? If not, I'm thinking of getting a refurb dual 2.0 G5 PM with it. If it will eventually, I may hold out since with my edu discount it would only be an extra $100 past the refurb for a brand new bottom end PM. But I really want 8gb ram possibility and PCI-X.

    Forgot to mention, I don't need this thing ASAP (would be nice but not necessary), I do however need it in the next 6 months or so.
  2. ouphe macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm sure it will be on their low-end model eventually, but who knows how soon? That seems like something that could be easily tucked in with the next update for PowerMacs, but no one is sure how long that will be.
    I decided to go ahead and snag one of the refurbs while they are still available...I remember last time they had 2.0 duals they went fast. Might want to keep that in mind.
    On the other hand, if you have 6 months to work with, that is an eternity in the computing world, so if you really don't need anything before then, wait it out as long as you can and they will probably be coming in cereal boxes by the time you need one.

  3. tikibangout macrumors regular


    Jul 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do you mean PCI Express(PCI-E)? Because thats different from PCI-X. It would seem probable that they would go PCI-E. I doubt PCI-X.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I would go for the refurb 2004 2.0 GHz G5 at $1649 and spend the amount you save on additional 3rd party RAM.

    Once you've used your system for a while then consider a better graphics
    card after the prices come down a bit.

    If you're not in any hurry, then you could wait to see what happens at Mac Expo Paris, but you might miss out on getting the Rev B2.0 Refurbs while they're still reasonably available.

    IF... Apple does offer a Dual core 970MP model before they make the transition to Intel, then that changes things dramatically, however, you would then be dealing with an unproven system.

    The Rev B 2.0 is a very well proven workhorse.
  5. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apple haven't had PCI-X on the low end Power Mac G5 since it was made, why would you assume this would change?

    I say "No" if you need PCI-X and the 8 RAM slots get the mid-range / high end refurb.
  6. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    I think I'm going to. However, I'm going to think about it a little longer. If it's gone by the time I make my decision, then it just wasn't meant to be.

Share This Page