PCI-X TV Tuner for MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by freakonguitar, May 15, 2007.

Hey,

I've been wanting a TV Tuner for my Macpro but cannot seem to find one that works with Mac and is PCI-Express. Id much rather something internal than another dongle or thing to plug in outside my macpro, that just means i need more USB ports ...firewire would be ok though. Yeah so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate that. :)

2. JeffreyM macrumors newbie

I'd suggest the older EyeTV 200. It's a firewire unit and does the encoding in the box (Which is why I bought it over the newer USB one). Check eBay for it. As far as I know there are no PCIe TV tuners.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

By the way, PCI-X and PCI Express are two completely different things. Just be careful when looking at products.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A standard PCI TV tuner for Mac will work in a PCI-X slot.

PCI-X isn't PCI-Express though. Most options are FireWire or USB though.

5. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I'm very happy with the EyeTV 200 (SDTV) and 500 (HDTV) that I have daisy-chained to my MacMini.

6. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I don't think a product like this exists--PCIe TV Tuner for a Mac Pro.

http://elgato.com has external solutions (some mentioned already) which I'd highly recommend.

Keep in mind that most tuners require special software to operate. ElGato uses a program called "EyeTV" which is really fantastic. Nothing else on mac even comes close.

7. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Another option is the Slingbox. Available for both PC and Mac, it hooks up to a TV source, like a Satellite box or Cable TV box and broadcasts the TV signal over a LAN or internet to any computer. www.slingbox.com

Sony has a system for this as well called LocationFree http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/HomeAudioandVideo/LocationFree

These systems are good if you want to watch TV ANYWHERE on ANY computer and the SONY one I know can connect to a wireless network. I can't remember if the slingbox can connect to a wireless network. Which means no wires or boxes on your computer - the box is where your main TV is.

8. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

thanks...i wasn't sure, i thought it might just be an abreviation for the PCI-Express slots that the Macpro has...but my bad.

9. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

i have been told that PCI cards will NOT work in PCI-Express card slots...anyone else know something more?

yes, and If it comes down to an external box, i would much rather firewire because USB uses up more CPU and ram, so firewire is quicker in the sense.

10. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Pci-e

Correct, PCI-Express and PCI are not compatible.

11. timish macrumors regular

I have a slingbox and HDTV and it works great.

12. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Well, the EyeTV 200 and 500 that I mentioned earlier are both Fw400, but they're NLA new -- eBay would be your best bet, as all Elgato offers these days are USB-based.

13. bld44 macrumors 6502

14. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

First of all, those don't work with the mac pro (they are PCI(x) and they're for powermacs only).

Second of all, I had one of those once. It was horrible. They were good for a while when they bundled EyeTV software with their cards, but they don't do that anymore.

It's been a long time since I had one, maybe it's better now, but it was awful back then.

16. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

will slingbox let you record tv as well on your computer??

17. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

That's where I think the slingbox fall flat, but I'm not sure. I believe it doesn't have recording capability. It only allows you to view a TV signal and control a set-top box or DVR.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Slingbox just lets you location shift your media not record it.

19. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

What about those small usb sticks that are a complete TV Tuner? I don't know the name, but someone asked a couple of months back if that they would work with a Mac. They where pretty cheap (under 50 usd) and where getting good reviews. Does anyone know what the brand is?

20. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

The Hauppauge (pronounced /ˈhɔːpɒɡ/) WinTV-HVR-950 model 01145 includes Elgato's EyeTV Lite, so you can watch TV on your Mac. :cool: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-950-Hybrid-Stick/dp/B000RHVOJM

There is also the EyeTV Hybrid, which is effectively the same thing, but with full support for EyeTV and also support for clear QAM in addition to the ATSC over the air standard. http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/hybrid/product1.en.html

21. enb141 macrumors member

How's the PCIe TV Tunner cards a year later, do they exists now in 2009?

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a HVR-1250 in my desktop. It's PCI-Express x1.

23. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I believe the EyeTV hardware is made by Digital Everywhere.

http://www.digital-everywhere.com/en/alcms/index.php?sid=1187727697

Beside the boxes they also make a version called FloppyDTV that can be fitted to any internal slot. It connects to FW400 internally or externally if a second slot connector interface is used.

I have the FireDTV-S2 in the black box and use it with the EyeTV software. It works exactly as a EyeTV 300 package. So I would assume the FloppyDTV will do this as well. It is the same PCB minus the enclosure.

24. enb141 macrumors member

Oops, I forgot to mention for mac :rolleyes:

Do yours works on OSX?

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't have a Mac with a PCI-Express slot to try it. I suppose that EyeTV might support it if it has the drivers for it.

Elgato tends to just relabel the hardware from other manufacturers.