PCI-X video card for G5??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kriepl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kriepl macrumors newbie

I am desperately looking for a PCI-X video card for my G5 to compliment my already installed AGP video card. For the life of me I can not find any more that are on the market for purchase. I know they exist, I am just having issues locating where to get one.

Any assistance on this would be great. My main reasoning for wanting this video card is to use an 3rd Monitor. Currently there are no methods for my G5 to use a 3rd monitor unless I use another video card.

I recently purchased a USB2DVI Adapter, and was sad to realize that the updated downloadable manual for it, says i need to have an intel mac.

So i am thinking my only bet is to use a PCI-X vid card for this third monitor.

Thanks in advance to ANY assistance that can be shared.

Kevin

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

By PCI-X you mean PCI Express? PCI-X expansion cards only work in XServes. This is the list of supported video cards for some of the most recent PowerMac/Mac Pro computers.

3. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

well i thought i meant PCI-X because i honestly can never remember so I always use this site for reference
    My G5 Model Here

and it does say PCI-X

if it IS in fact actually a PCI-Express, then my hunting for a card should be made easier.
    I will check out that list you linked and see if i can find something.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually the PowerMac G5's have PCI-X slots.

To the OP: I don't think there's any PCI-X graphic cards, as PCI-X was more or less DOA. But you can use regular ol' PCI cards in the PCI-X slots, so you can buy a cheapo PCI GPU to run your third display.

5. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

whoah, are you serious!? this whole time i thought i could not use regular PCI card in the PCI-X slots. this will do wonders until I make my big upgrade to one of the latest beasts in a few months!

Thank you very much!

6. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

ok here is a silly question that I have always wondered. Are there proprietary PCI Graphics cards that work only on MAC? or can i just basically by any ol' PCI graphics card?

thanks for the help, it is GREATLY appreciated.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes. If the card isn't explicitly Mac-compatible, I don't believe it will work, particularly in a PPC Mac like your G5.

The 9200 is one easy option (about as fast as you're going to get in PCI, I think), albeit a little spendy:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100436014/

...or you could look for an older used one on eBay or the like if you're not interested in performance. Heck, I have a couple of archaic XClaim PCI cards laying around in a junk drawer, though I've never tried to see if OSX recognizes them. Probably does.

There's even a USB-based video device that was just released, though it's only a bit cheaper than the 9200 linked above.

8. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate the link, this is the one I would need. I have that USB2DVI adapter sitting right here in front of me, as it's the first thing I tried. However, no where in any documentation does it say I needed to have an INtel Mac. It wasn't until the damn software wouldn't install that I did some research and found an updated pdf manual for it, letting me know this.

Either way...thanks all for the help! I appreciate it!

Kevin

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh, ouch. Sorry to hear that.

That's one thing I like about OWC (the store I linked)--they're very specific and careful about stating model compatibility for what they sell. (Had I looked more carefully, I'd have noticed that their page for that USB2DVI device says Intel-only, for example.) Their prices are also good, but to me worth an extra few bucks for the confidence that if they say it's compatible with my Mac, it is.

10. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, had I looked at OWC for the USB2DVI device i would have saved myself the trouble. I went through newegg =P

Being an avid OWC customer, i have no idea why I did not check there first.
    Anyway, thanks for the link for the 9200 from them. Just put an order in for it today and it shall arrive tomorrow.

11. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

update

well, i have come to realize that I will being doing my upgrade to one of the new Mac Pros a lot sooner than I thought.

Purchased that Radeon 9200, and a nice Dell 24" display for my 3rd monitor, and have realized that my G5 Dual 2.7 with 8G Ram, is just too damn weak to run the 3 monitors along with video and the music sequencing software I am running.

so disappointing.

12. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I think poor performance can be attributed to the fact that the PCI 9200 disables quartz extreme (any PCI video card will), which is required by Mac OS X and many other programs to run smoothly, bottlenecking the system. Sorry, wish I came across this thread sooner.

You will need something like the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital Edition. This takes a single DVI input, at a high, long resolution, and gives two DVI outputs, splitting the long screen among the two.

Be sure to buy the DVI version, not the VGA one.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

13. kriepl thread starter macrumors newbie

wow i never even heard of these matrox boxes. Damn expensive though. the DVI one is $299. And it's the Triple Head2Go. The dualhead2go only has VGA input.

Thanks for the link though. It may be my only option until i upgrade.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Keep in mind though, the Head2Go things actually fool your computer into thinking the two displays is actually one super-ultra-widescreen display.

If you're fine with that, then go for it. But if not, then it might not be optimal.