PCIe adapter cable

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rkyve, Dec 4, 2007.

1. rkyve macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have been googling and searching this forum for solution on how to power my Radeon X1900XT in my Mac Pro.
    As far as I understood, there is a specific cable that plugs into the mother board and power the graphic card.
    I actually haven't bought the card from Apple, so it did not come with the correct cable.
    I read about rolling your own cable but I'd prefer to buy one.
    All I found is a 6-pin adapter cable on one end with 2 x 4-pin connectors on the other end...but the motherboard connectors have 6 pins!

Could anybody tell me where to get the correct or what effective solution you used to connect your card?
    I am really desperate to get this card up and running :(
    Thanks

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Installing a PC X1900 in a Mac Pro (incl. power cable issues) is discussed at length here:
    http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?section=other&article=93
    They give a link to where you can buy a $30 power cable.

I also remember the one-off Apple PCI-e power cables discussed about 6 months ago on these forums.

(and I'm assuming you realize that you have to flash the firmware on a PC X1900XT to get it to boot up in Mac OS X, they don't just work out of the box)

3. rkyve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your swift reply.

I am actually looking for this cable -preferably - in the UK.

4. kbonnel macrumors 6502

There is a guy selling the cables on ebay, you can see if he will ship to the UK. Other than that, you could go to the apple store and ask for the part (not sure how much it would be though)

I just recently ordered a PC x1900XT and plan on flashing it with the Mac x1900XT ROM. I just could see myself paying 400 for this card, and in the end I will have it for $250 less (got a different cooler :) ).

Kimo