PCIe Bifurcation in cMP 5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by abdyfranco, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. abdyfranco macrumors regular

abdyfranco

Hi,

Currently, I have 3 of the 4 PCIe slots occupied, leaving only the second x16 slot free.

I want to install 1 more PCI card and an NVMe SSD, but with a single PCIe slot available it is not possible.

Looking in Google for a few hours, I found this SuperMicro PCIe card, which converts a single x16 slot into 2 x16 slots actively with a PLX chip (According to the Supermicro website)

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-RSC-R2UG-A2E16-A-Riser-Card/dp/B00D3O2ZE4

I know that the cMP does not support passive PCIe bifurcation, but I do not know if this active card would work in a cMP.

Any thoughts?

2. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Contact Supermicro support. Ask them if it's proprietary to their motherboards or not. The chances of someone here having knowledge of that specific board in a Mac Pro are probably pretty slim. No harm in asking, though!

3. abdyfranco thread starter macrumors regular

abdyfranco

I'm going to contact the Supermicro support, I'll post an update as soon as they respond.

4. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

In the Windows and Linux worlds, PLX switches are pretty transparent to the OS and drivers. Many combo cards have PCIe switches - I've seen four-port Fibre Channel cards that were two two-port controllers on a card with a switch.

And the MP6,1 has a PLX switch - so Apple OSX probably would understand them.

If SuperMicro can't answer - search for a seller with a good return policy.

5. abdyfranco thread starter macrumors regular

abdyfranco

Unfortunately I didn't receive any response from SuperMicro, I think my only option is to risk buying it and trying it out.

6. the_zee macrumors newbie

the_zee

Have you tried it?