Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAGSmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Hello again. Now that Ive used a Sapphire Nitro+ sacrificing one of the PCIE slot, Can anybody share there experience or suggestion using a PCIE extender without breaking the bank. I have read about the Cubix which cost almost 3k. Is there any other alternative that works with Mac Pro 2010-2012 Mac OS Mojave. Once again thank you.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Very low cost method.

Keep the side panel open.

Use this kind of extension cable to connect the GPU
image.png

And mount it to a position that wherever safe.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
I've rolled my own Cyclone Microsystems-based expansion chassis, using a PCIe2-427 board, with a -426 HBA in my Mac Pro, and all the expansion stuff inside a fairly basic ThermalTake PC case that sits beside my cMP. Works fantastically well! I shot most of a video about it last year, but have not gotten around to finishing it off and/or editing it. I'll try to put that back on my to-do list and see if I can get it done. Here's a thread at eGPU.io that I used to get started:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-...bus-adaptor-win10-or-os-x-10-11-6-el-capitan/

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
I've rolled my own Cyclone Microsystems-based expansion chassis, using a PCIe2-427 board, with a -426 HBA in my Mac Pro, and all the expansion stuff inside a fairly basic ThermalTake PC case that sits beside my cMP. Works fantastically well! I shot most of a video about it last year, but have not gotten around to finishing it off and/or editing it. I'll try to put that back on my to-do list and see if I can get it done. Here's a thread at eGPU.io that I used to get started:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-...bus-adaptor-win10-or-os-x-10-11-6-el-capitan/

Great solution, might look at doing something similar myself if I decide that the 2x internal 1080ti’s aren’t enough in the future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.