PCIe GeForce 7300GT in a 733MHz Quicksilver?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dkvasnicka, May 17, 2009.

1. dkvasnicka macrumors newbie

Hi fellas,

i have an old Power Mac G4 Quicksilver running at 733MHz and I also have one unused PCI Express GeForce 7300GT -- a PC version.

These seem to me as impossible to combine, but still I'd like to ask whether is it somehow possible to put a PCIe card to an old Quicksilver...? (some kind of freaky conversion gizmo perhaps? ;) )

And if it is, can I flash the PC GeForce using the quicksilver? (I've got no PC desktop in my house -- could it be done through some linux live CD or something like that...?)

If this all is a nonsense, I'll just sell that card thing...

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No can do.

AGP is not, in any way, compatible with PCI-Express.

3. dkvasnicka thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, but the board has PCI slots AFAIK... so some PCI to PCIe adapter maybe? Just asking, really, I want to be sure it really is not possible before I get rid of the thing :)

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The problem is that PCI is using a parallel bus (and dates back to 1994) while PCI-Express is using a serial bus.

Don't be fooled by the name. They may sound similar but in reality have very little in common.

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you need a Quicksilver card, there are lots of AGP cards that can be had for cheap to be flashed for it, like a 5200 or 6200.