PCIe power cable, dual 6-pin to single 8-pin: does it exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jolio, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Jolio macrumors newbie

I've got a 2009 Mac Pro. I'm considering getting an AMD Radeon R9 Nano graphics when it comes out later this month, and I'm trying to figure out how I can power it. The card requires 175W, and a single 8-pin (150W) power connector. Problem is, each of the two PCIe auxiliary power outlets on the motherboard is 6-pin (75W).

I realize that plenty of people use 6-pin to 8-pin adapters, but I'd rather not if possible.

I'm wondering if there exists a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin Y-cable which would suit this purpose. I haven't been able to find one, does anyone know if they exist?

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

3. Jolio thread starter macrumors newbie

If only all of the internet were full of people as helpful as you. I never would have thought of that...

4. EHuntington macrumors newbie

I would think the card would probably come with the adapter. In both my Geforce 680 and Geforce 780 packages, there was a dual 6pin to 8pin adapter. If not, they're readily available. Amazon Link

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

But he is right, I follow his instruction, and able to know that cable exist within 5 seconds.

Anyway, please don't blame the others, the answer's quality is affected by your question's quality.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

On this forum our favourite new cable supplier is http://www.moddiy.com. They are based in Hong Kong, very cheap, very fast delivery. They can build any cable you want to any spec you want.

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I wish they can build a simple PSU mod cable for cMP. That will be a great news for us :D

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Well they do ;) we just wish that our PSU was modular.

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I mean a cable as simple as an adaptor which connect to the mainboard connector and split the power from there. So that the whole process is reversible by simply remove the mod cable.

10. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

They do exist, I use one in my MP. Got it on Ebay from Germany and it is EVGA branded.

11. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

We don't yet have a clear picture if Radeon Nano is going to work, there are some hints though. But you will have to wait until after a Fiji sporting Mac hits the market. From what I gather the card is already with reviewers but they are under tight NDA until the 27th and AMD is working to make sure the drivers make the card a better purchase than a GTX980.

12. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely hold back getting any Fiji card. Not only OS X doesn't offer any drivers, but MVC even had problems starting his MacPro with a Fury installed.
    I guess to reach the desktop in his post a few days ago he was using either a special 2nd card or prepared the Fury ROM somehow.

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Dual 6 pins to 8 are a dime a dozen, they include them in many GPU boxes. I've probably got 50 or 60 in my e-recycle box.

14. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

As I found when I needed them to deal with the power options off the Z840s at work, they're actually rather hard to find outside of that case (our GPUs are sweetheart test deals from Nvidia, so they didn't come with cables, and most dual 6 to 8 pin cables are for turning your 8 pin off the mobo into dual six pins, instead of vice versa.)

15. Jolio, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

Jolio thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a fair amount of searching before I posted. I've since found a few, but they weren't readily apparent. I was hoping someone knew offhand, you know, save time and trouble? Seek expert advice?

You mean a dual [6-pin Mini-Fit Jr.] to single [PCIe 8-pin]? That would definitely be the cleanest solution; even with the Y-adapter in question, I would still need two of the standard "Mac" PCIe 6-pin cables. I might solder such a cable myself, or check out moddiy, if I do end up going this route.

Definitely thanks for the heads up, both of you.

I'm guessing this is why they're so hard to find separately. This is what I get for thinking too far ahead...
    Oh, hey, while I've got you on the line, I've read your guides; they're great, but why can't I find 5.25" PSUs for sale anywhere anymore?

16. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I mean a direct connection to here.
    [​IMG]

This will allow more than one 8 pin cable draw 150W directly from the PSU.