PCIE riser for GPU/ Sapphire Nitro Plus

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AAGSmac, Dec 8, 2018.

1. AAGSmac macrumors newbie

AAGSmac

Good day. I am looking for a solution to make room for the lane #2 16x to be use for my pcie USB 3.1 gen 2 pcie card which is being blocked by my GPU/ Sapphire. Has anybody able to use a PCIe Riser? Thanks

2. mattferg macrumors 6502

The Nitro Plus is a 2 slot card. If it's on the bottom slot 1 it shouldn't be blocking slot 2?

3. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

The Nitro+ is a 2.2 slot card, and definitely will physically block slot 2

4. AAGSmac thread starter macrumors newbie

AAGSmac

I thought there was a solution By using slot #2 and leaving slot #1 for the USB 3.1 gen 2 pcie card. Unfortunately the Nitro+ partially blocks the slot #4 that I is occupied with my Angel Bird Wing . I am just after for 16x lane of slot #1

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

If you really want this GPU so badly, the best advice I can offer is to get one, try it, if it doesn’t fit your needs, return it and pay the restocking fee.

If you place it in slot 2, it probably will block some access to slot 4. That said, it my (possibly) be that the ABW will still have enough room to work properly. I wouldn’t do this personally, as I don’t think you would gain enough benefit over a regular Sapphire RX580, but if you must... Just make sure you can return the card if it doesn’t work out. It may be inconvenient, but you might also get lucky. Just my worthless 2¢

6. AAGSmac thread starter macrumors newbie

AAGSmac

I already passed the 15 day return policy. I have passed the point of no return hehheehhrehe

7. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

Work with a client who's MP4,1 or MP5,1 basically has PCIe ribbon cables exiting the machine and a metal magazine rack kind of contraption holding cards outside of the machine. Some of this was due to heat dissipation a few years ago for a card that proved to be causing GPU overheating issues. It's an UGLY solution, but it does usually work. Would not trust this for primary GPU.

These are NOT the exact cables used, but look very similar. You MIGHT need PCIe 2.0 rated (vs 3.0 rated). Someone else may be better able to answer that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X7ZQ9C
    https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/high-speed-pci-express-pci-e-16x-flexible/409397762.html

8. orph macrumors 68000

orph

are the 3rd and 4th pci slot's in use?

in the past people have used pci extender things (the ones bit coin miners use) to put pci cards in the DVD bay

9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus

Watch this and let me know what you think ..

:)