PCIe-SSD Late 2005 G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawweb, Nov 17, 2015.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Has anyone experimented with adding a PCIe-SSD to a late 2005 G5 as a boot volume? Are there any success stories? Or is this completely impossible?

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

thats an interesting idea I know the SSD blades from like Mac Pro 6,1s and retina Macbook Pros work in Mac Pro 1,1s running Lion so it would be interesting if they work in Leopard in a G5 or are even seen as a volume by open firmware... (would be crazy fast for a PPC mac heh)

3. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Looking at OWC's website it seems possible. Have to admit that I went the easy (chicken :rolleyes: ) route and installed a OWC 3G SSD as the boot drive in my G5!

4. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I've been using my quad with an off the shelf SSD, it works greatbut thought it would fun to play with it at much faster SATA speeds. Tinkering last night, I took my Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD card out of my Mac Pro 5,1 and threw it in. Open firmware was unable to read the drive attached to it as a boot volume. Experiment fail..

5. RedCroissant Suspended

How is that by the way? I've been considering it but money is an issue but if the performance increase is substantial then I might consider it more seriously.

6. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Why not an mSATA plus IDE-Adapter? The best money-for-value option. You'll need adapter to fit in the 2,5 size.
    Cheers...

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That makes no sense as all G5s use SATA

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

While it may work in a Mac Pro 1,1, this is somewhat discouraging (from http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/Compatibility):
    Assuming this will work at all in a late 2005 G5, speeds will be at most 80 MB/s faster than SATA 1. Unfortunately nowhere near how the blades perform in newer Macs, which can be upwards of 700 MB/s.

9. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

RedCroissaant it turned out good and I'd do it again! My test results are posted here.

10. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I think theres some confusion here what Im thinking about is a PCIE SSD blade pulled from a Modern Macbook pro or Mac pro and put in a $10 PCIE pass through adapter then put that inside a G5 PCIE and see what happens

11. RedCroissant Suspended

Ok, that's pretty awesome. I want that! Did you do just the basic cloning over to the SSD or did you do a fresh install of OS X on it?

12. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Installed the SSD as disk 2, used SuperDuper! to clone my old HD, installed the SSD as disk 1.

Just that easy.

13. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

I would assume if the blades did work they would hit something similar to the Mac Pro 1,1 speeds as per the OWC site:

2006-2007 Mac Pro. These models utilize PCIe 1.0 slot which cannot be configured (even with the Expansion Utility in OS X) to address Accelsior_E2 as anything but as a first generation one-lane card. As a result, Accelsior_E2 performance will be limited to 190-200MB/s data rates. If maximum data rate speed up to 285MB/s is desired, we recommend the installation of a 2.5" OWC Mercury SSD in an open Mac Pro drive bay.

However some hands on testing would be required to confirm anything as other adapters could provide different speeds