PCIe USB card that can charge an iPad??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blakespot, Jul 11, 2010.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I have a rev 1 Mac Pro (2006) that does not have the 1A+ power needs to charge an iPad. I'd like to grab a PCIe-based USB 2.0 card with the 1A (or even 2A if avail?) that will handle this.

Does anyone know of a card that will get this done?

Thanks.

blakespot

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I couldn't find USB 2.0 PCIe cards with more than 500mA but USB 3.0 raised the current from 500mA to 900mA so this might work. An Y shaped cable with two USBs might work so it would power it from two USB ports providing 2x500mA.

It seems to be because USB 2.0 is limited to 5 units (1 unit = 100mA) and USB 3.0 is limited to 9 units but an AC based hub or charger can supply unlimited amount of units (according to Wikipedia) and thus most 3.5" external HDs and other power hungry USB devices has their own PSU

Maybe someone else knows more than I do :cool:

3. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I purchased E sonnet Alegro model and it charges my iPad fine.

4. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

5. kbonnel macrumors 6502

6. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Just to clarify -- now that I think about it -- old Mac Pros will SLOWLY charge the iPad when it's sleeping, even though the charge icon says "Not Charging." With this PCIe card, does the icon reflect normal charge?

Thanks.

blakespot

7. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Would using a USB hub that is self powered help in this case? A self powered USB hub can easily charge an iPad as far as I know.

8. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I have a self-powered USB 3.0 hub (Belkin I think) and it does not charge the iPad any better than my rev 1 Mac Pro's built-in USB ports.

blakespot

9. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Hi,

Yes, on my iPad, when it is plugged into the USB card, it does show it charging when I am using it.

K

10. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

11. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I see the card has a molex connector. Without that wired up, its not charging. I guess you wired up the molex?

Thanks.

bp

12. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Hi,

Hmm, interesting. I didn't wire my molex. I wonder if the PCIe bus is providing enough juice. I have mine on the top slot, not sure if that matters.

K

13. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Dude, are you sure what you're telling me is what you're experiencing with this product??

I spent $100 on this card and two molex extenders (thinking the tap power was needed -- on a Mac it is _not_ FYI) and still get the "Not Charging" message with my iPad plugged in. Daunted, I called Sonnet and talked to a very friendly tech support guy that told me they would have to break USB spec to provide the power the iPad requires. Their card provides the standard 500mA power max.

He claims there's no way you're seeing anything but "Not Charging" when plugged into that card on your config.

It's nice to have more USB2 ports in general, sure, but I could've gotten a hub a lot cheaper than this.

:-\

blakespot

14. frosser macrumors newbie

I have the Sonnet USB PCI-e card in my 2008 Mac Pro.

It is this card:

http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-USB2-E...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279232344&sr=8-1

When plugged in to the card, my iPad charges. In fact, the iPad displays that it is charging. This is, of course, without any molex connection.

However, I noticed that the card emitted a high-pitched tone when charging the iPad. It wasn't loud, but it certainly was annoying. So, I simply switched some of my other USB connections to the new card, and plugged my iPad directly into one of the rear USB ports on the Mac Pro.

Perhaps your experience has been different because you have the 2006 model. I don't know.

I found another oddity with the Sonnet card. When my keyboard was connected to the card through the USB hub in my cinema display, I could not option-boot to a different drive. The computer would simply boot to the startup disk selected in system preferences; i.e., it would not show the available startup volumes when booting with the option key held down.

15. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I tell ya, before I even responded to your original request, I plugged my iPad in, and it was charging. If what the sonnet guy was saying, then Apple would have never found a way to do it. I would tell you something wrong only in the hopes of you spending money. I wrote down what I experienced.

K

16. kbonnel macrumors 6502

17. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Regarding your last statement (boot to different drive), I believe this is because the PCIE card isn't initialized yet at this point of the boot cycle. I read this somewhere else.

18. kbonnel macrumors 6502

"He claims there's no way you're seeing anything but "Not Charging" when plugged into that card on your config."

You know, it is situations like these that make me not want to help and contribute. Obviously this support person doesn't know everything.

K