PCMCIA modem with mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dj4hill, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dj4hill macrumors newbie

Hello Guys,

Hoping someone can help with a little question I have.

I currently have a work supplied PC laptop with 2 supplied PCMCIA card modems. Of course I only need one modem, but it just so happened that i ended up with 2. I use a work supplied monthly wireless subscription with my laptop.

After the new minis come out in January, I would like to buy one and use it as a HTPC. I would like to use my existing (effectively free) internet connection for the mini, via the spare PCMCIA modem (i realise that I will only be able to have one active connection at a time). I assumed this would be fine, until is started to think, hmmm,.... I guess I will need a adapter to allow the PCMCIA modem to work with my mini.

I then started to search for PCMCIA -> USB adapters. It appears they do exist, but don't work well, only work with some PCMCIA modems and worst of all, they are very expensive!

I guess my only good option is to buy a USB wireless modem for the mini,... but they are not cheap either.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something simple here?

Cheers,
    David

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I don't really understand, I may be missing something simple here. The Mac Mini comes with a 802.11 G (and probably 802.11 N with any new releases) wireless card built in. Why do you need to mess with all of this?