PCMCIA slot disappeared when ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by meltedamerican7, Oct 10, 2007.

1. meltedamerican7 macrumors newbie

I shoot a lot of video using the new p2 cards by panasonic. I saw someone once use a mac laptop that had a pcmcia slot to import the video clips directly to his computer...the way i do it now is by connecting a camera (via firewire), opening up final cut pro and then wrestling in the media..and it doesn't always work.

To wit: what is the last model (and assuming by default is the fastest and therefore best for video) that still had the built-in pcmcia slot ?

I would be very grateful on hearing your opinion too on it's ability to display/playback hd video clips (i'm not going to try and edit with the laptop...will use a desktop for that after it's been transferred into a firewire drive using the laptop as an interface).

C

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Apple switched from PCMCIA to ExpressCard with the switch to Intel. So any non-Intel (ie, G4 PowerBook) Pro laptop would have one.

It should be noted that ExpressCard is supposed to be replacing PCMCIA and Panasonic may switch the P2 card over eventually as well.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Get an adapter or external reader. You don't want a G4 (especially if you're shooting DVCPRO HD on the P2.. G4 will be slow as ****)

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

PCMIA disappeared with the first MacBook Pros. You would need a G4 PowerBook. (Edit: see what happens when I go to double check?)

5. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

PCMCIA cards disappeared with the appearance of USB. Also because people can pronounce USB better than PCMCIA :p

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Keep in mind that the MBP has an ExpressCard/34 slot, which is narrower than the /54 slot, which can use PC Cards (or CardBus, or PCMCIA, whatever).

7. meltedamerican7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick responses...

here's my follow up questions:

1. does the pcmcia slot appear in all powerbook models ? including 12", etc. ?

2. if i'm just ingesting and not editing, how slow is it really ? i've shot some stuff where the client was downloading the cards faster than i could fill them up but wasn't there when he was doing it so didn't see how fast it was going.

3. what makes you think pansonic is getting rid of p2 cards ? according to their marketing materials they are fully committed and have plans going through 2009 to deliver 64 gigabyte cards (currently 16 gigs)

8. meltedamerican7 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking...

i was thinking it would be better to have a laptop then a reader and a laptop...the readers are not cheap...i could buy a laptop with a reader for the same price...thought briefly about getting a current pc that had a pcmcia slot but then it was a pc so i was only temporarily insane...rather a slow mac then fast pc...plus an older mac will be used and therefore cheaper so...

9. meltedamerican7 thread starter macrumors newbie

am c.o.n.fus.ed

Are you saying the Mac PowerBook Pro can handle panasonic p2 cards ?

c

10. saxman macrumors 6502

No, the 12" powerbook does not have a PCMCIA slot. Don't know the answers to the other questions since I don't have a PCMCIA slot (-;