PCs rarely list GPU?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MyDesktopBroke, Feb 8, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I've only ever bought one computer, a Macbook Pro. When I was looking around at other makers, Dell, HP, whoever, I noticed that they rarely, if ever, listed what GPU was in the computer. They would have RAM amount and speed, processor speed, screen resolution, computer dimensions, batter life, and even more obscure stats like L2 cache and bus speed that most people wouldn't care about. But no graphics card.

Even on computers that were built for gaming (that would have a good GPU) they still wouldn't list it.

Is there a reason? Every time I see a mac in a magazine or a flyer, it always lists the GPU, even if it's a low-end integrated one.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe you have a link or three to show what you mean?

The last times I checked PC vendors like HP, Dell and now Lenovo, they did state the GPU, as that is one major selling point to younger consumers.

But they all have horrible websites compared to Apple, and filled with Flash that one wants to puke.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe you should look again and look harder this time.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dell has updated some of the pages to be more like Good, Better, Best for the faster shipping models. The dedicated GPU is a mentioned in text and with a custom icon as a selling point for the Better models.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What. Every PC I've looked at has stated the GPU other than the cheap Medion etc ones they list in newspapers. Maybe you aren't looking hard enough!

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm looking @ the dell site US Dell site...... Its showing ATI HD 4870 <<< i7 chip based then NVIDIA GEFORCE 260M or 280M <<Core2Duo choice

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Educating the public about the virtues of dedicated graphics cards? How quaint!

Dazzling the consumer with BS is the 21st century way!

They'd easily sell more systems with discrete graphics cards if they called them "revolutionary devices". They need to work more words and phrases like "magical" and "game changing" into their marketing material. Using "paradigm" in at least one sentence would undoubtably seal the deal.