PC's vs Mac's Help Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I currently have a Windows PC and a Windows Laptop, and I am looking to change completely to Mac's (used to have a Powerbook but it got killed).

I will be buying a mac pro and a Macbook Pro between now and the summer.

The thing is, I need a PC for some of the Web Developement I do, so I can't decide whether to buy keep the laptop or the desktop pc. It would be useful having a Windows Laptop to take around when needed, but I don't know if I'd get a lot for my desktop PC on ebay.

Anyone got any thoughts?

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

web development as in .net software as thats the only thing of that doesnt run in mac osx :p

3. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I've always had PC's until my new mac pro (greatest computer purchase of my life) and I can understand the slight concern. Can I ask why you need a PC for Web Development? I do web design and basically use Flash CS3 and a little Dreamweaver, which both I like better on the mac. What are you using for web design that isn't available on a mac? Or do you just want a windows pc around for testing sites on both platforms? I kept my old Dell notebook around just to do some testing b/t pc and mac.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Like many people would say, you can get a full windows PC on a Mac by installing Windows via bootcamp (if you really need some Window's only applications). However, even though I'm not a professional web designer, I haven't found anything that I can't do on my Mac when I do need to do a little bit of site and database design. Unless you want to save money by not having to buy another copy of Windows, I see no major reason to keep the laptop and desktop PC (especially if they're older).

5. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

If you are worried about .Net you can use CFML (ColdFusion) and run the Adobe software on the Mac platform

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for all your comments

Basically, I do web developement for my church, my university, and other things (I'm not a pro...I'm still a uni student), but when I am doing my church website, I sometimes have to go to my church leaders house and go through some stuff with him, and it would just make life a little easier on a windows PC (hence wanting a PC laptop).

Ideally, I would rather not put Windows on a Macbook Pro because I will want as much hard drive space as possible.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd just bootcamp XP on your MBP. You can fit a streamlined XP installation and a host of applications on a 5 gb partition; that's pocket change.

8. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

Agree with directly above me. If you need .NET then just run bootcamp. Anyway you do it, if you're into web development, keep a windows machine around so you can check compatibility between browsers.

9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. Didn't know it would be that small a partition :)