Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
playstation emulation on the mac - my input

First, the mac versions are terrible. They just aren't getting enough developer attention. The windows versions are pretty decent though.

Second, pcsx-r has never worked well for me. I have better luck with epsxe in crossover. You can run it with wine, but joystick support didn't work for me until I bought crossover. (Crossover games seems to browse faster for some reason too)

When running epsxe on a mac, there are 2 areas that will cause problems.
1. Drop a copy of zlib1.dll into the epsxe folder. This will help with some launch problems.
2. Make sure you create a fresh folder and start from scratch with epsxe. You CANNOT get it running by copying it off your windows partition. I don't know why, but running epsxe virgin seems to fix everything.

Performance is odd. On my iMac, the best I can do is with the regular OGL plugins from pete and some things still bog down (legend of dragoon specials/texture alignment, xenogears opening scene in lahan/anywhere there is that foreground effect or in large battles) My mac mini rips my imac apart at full res and using the OGL 2 plugin. My point here is, it will take some tweaking.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Ive had no issues with epsxe in crossover. Runs the same as if on windows (minor bugs with some plugins though). Using Petes open gl2 plugin. The only odd thing is that you have to enable full frame buffer effects as crossover (wine) can not understand whatever is being used for simpler graphics. shader effects work perfectly as well. Crash bandicoot looks awesome with the cartoon shaders.
Also to get CDDA (games that use CD audio music) games working is get moobys cd plugin and have a .bin and .cue and use eternals SPU plugin and switch the audio out method to SPUasync.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Ive had no issues with epsxe in crossover. Runs the same as if on windows (minor bugs with some plugins though). Using Petes open gl2 plugin. The only odd thing is that you have to enable full frame buffer effects as crossover (wine) can not understand whatever is being used for simpler graphics. shader effects work perfectly as well. Crash bandicoot looks awesome with the cartoon shaders.
Also to get CDDA (games that use CD audio music) games working is get moobys cd plugin and have a .bin and .cue and use eternals SPU plugin and switch the audio out method to SPUasync.

Not to threadjack, but have ever tried running megaman legends 2 on an emulator? How can you get the sound to sync up? It's like the put tiny pauses on the disc that only the console recognizes and skips over.

SpeedofMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Canada
I have the newest version of PCSX Reloaded on my MacBook Pro and I've tried alternately to run directly from the CD and an iso image. The image quality is terrible with both - the text is completely unreadable. This is the first game I've tried to play using PCSX, and I have no clue as to what I might be doing wrong... Is there a plugin I'm missing, or..?

Ugh... I just tried to open the CD and the iso so I could show y'all a screenshot of what I'm talking about, and now PCSX isn't working at all.

Running from your CD or your backup ISO wouldn't affect graphics. Have you tried changing the plugin settings in the preferences window? If you're using one of my compiled change sets, can switch to Pete's OpenGL plugin (also in the preferences window) to get improved graphics.

What's happening when you try to launch PCSX-Reloaded now that it's crashing? Could you open up Console.app and post anything related to PCSX-R that you find?

lewis92

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Has anyone got a ps3 controller working with crossovers? I've tried it with wine but no joy so far.

StormedTempest

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
@Speed of Mac

YOU ARE AWESOME! Just posted it here too to make sure you get it. In a matter of 2 minutes on your site I got PCSX Reloaded up and running. FYI, I had done 15 distinct downloads and numerous different websites and 3 days trying to get it going before to no avail. Thank you kind sir.

porg

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
All PCSX revisions above 82116 crash on Mac OS X 10.6.8

The PCSX-Reloaded change set released on February 18 includes a Mac port of the P.E.Op.S OpenGL plugin that greatly improves graphics. […] I upload builds of the latest change sets at http://consoleemu.com/emulator/pcsx-reloaded#latest

Dear SpeedofMac!

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a MacBookPro Late 2006.

I read your [URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/844356/"]post
advertising:
http://consoleemu.com/emulator/pcsx-reloaded
from where I downloaded your newest build of PCSXR.

r82429 was unable to start, and displayed a dialogue stating so. I found no system requirements on that page, thus simply consecutively tested elder versions, which all exited with a crash, until I finally found a version, which worked, being 82116.

I saved all crash logs, and attach them to this post.

Shows dialogue, that it is unable to start:

Crashes at start:
82140 82167 82199 82209 82226 82239 82244 82281

Works:

Regards, porg

Logs attached in 1 ZIP archive.

Attachments

• pcsxr-testing-various-versions-on-mac-os-x-10-6-8.zip
    57.8 KB · Views: 227

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Mac OS 10.9.5
PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.93 and 1.9.95
ROM: Tomb Raider II v1.3

The water in the first level of the game is transparent, as it should be, but in the next level, Venice, the canal water is opaque black. If the playable figure jumps in, it disappears and becomes invisible. It is impossible to play the game under these circumstances.

After extensive testing on both the Mac and Win platforms it has been found that the above is true for all versions of PCSXR. However the same ROM when used in other emulators, viz: ePSXe and PSX, provides transparent canal water as designed.

Conclusion: the problem lies firmly in the implementation of PCSXR, not just in the MAC OS version but in all versions, independent of graphics plugin used.

Please fix ASAP. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.