Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr B

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
I am filming a short film tomorrow on a Sony-PD170. I am wondering which would produce better results, shooting on the 170s 'progressive' mode or shooting in normal video and using filters in FCP (nattress film filters) for 30p or 24p.

Mr B

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Washington DC
Well, my understading is that the PD170's 'progressive' mode isn't a true progressive made, rather it's a sort of fake version of it, so I didn't know if there were advantages to shooting it in that mode or shooting it in normal mode and 'faking' it in post.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Well, my understading is that the PD170's 'progressive' mode isn't a true progressive made, rather it's a sort of fake version of it, so I didn't know if there were advantages to shooting it in that mode or shooting it in normal mode and 'faking' it in post.

That's what I thought, I knew Sony has a way of making a "fake" film-mode in some of their camcorders.

Then I'd just shoot in 60i, and experiment in POST.

Focus on other things like lighting and whatever. Make sure your exposure is right and you'll have some flexibility in post.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Well, if your camcorder is playing around with your image during capture, then avoid it.

Shoot in native, and play around in PP.

MA.

(Disclaimer: Only if you think that Sony's progressive is not 'true.' Normal progressive is always the best. I don't know much about this particular example.)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
if it is the same as the PD-150, then the progressive mode actually does progressive frames, BUT only at 15fps...it will then play each frame twice on the tape.

And please, just leave the video at whatever format it was shot in... the filters to make it look 30p and 24p are not good

deux-ex-mak

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
shoot neutral - spoil in it in post

Rule of thumb whichever the medium:

1-shoot neutral (mid exposure, accurate white balance, 50 shutter speed...);
forget "film looks" in camera. Avoid any P mode that it's not truly P at full quality.

2-Spoil things in post

Video will never be film no matter how you shoot. But if your original material follows rule 1 you will have a much wider range of posibilities to achive a filmish look in post.

This is like saying that if you decide to grade a shot on camera, you'd better not change your mind about the style, cause that will be it forever. It's just silly

People are obsessed with de-interlacing and I'm not too sure they know what they're doing. There are 3 methods to do it in post and only 1 keeps all the information at a considerable processing and rendering cost

Probably the best tool in post to get a film look is "Magic Bullet", especially in the hands of a professional grader or at least someone who understands photography, film and color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.