PDAnet 1.40 is out... now supports VPN

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSloper, Oct 29, 2008.

1. TSloper macrumors member

I've test it with VPN and it is working very well.

2. navigates macrumors 6502a

Totally Agreed! Cisco VPN Works. Aventail on the other hand does not work but that no biggie. Workaround is to connect to Cisco and then to Aventail.

Well Cisco is my main VPN. I used to connect my phone on VPN and then just used PDAnet.

Its getting better and better with every release. Now if only the Battery Usage could work at par with tethering, that would be great. Any tests so far?

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I can confirm that OpenVPN and PPTP both work via 1.4 now. I'll report back on battery usage after I've spent some more time with it.

4. The Governor macrumors regular

this is great news. I will be updating shortly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

So far my battery appears to be charging while using v1.4. I've used it several hours today, and this latest session the battery has gone from ~85% when I started to 99% now. Very nice! :)

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

No way!? They fixed the battery usage!? AWESOME!

7. navigates macrumors 6502a

Did they !!!? I have yet to try this out. Can someone else confirm.

8. DUMBDOG macrumors newbie

I have not updated yet, but using PdaNet on my 2G iphone connected via EDGE does not drain my battery.

9. Lord Egregious macrumors member

I used PDAnet before this update with my older laptop and it was alright but my laptop has huge and I never used it over twice. Now I have an Acer Aspire One that I want to use PDAnet with but it doesn't seem to work correctly. I'm able to connect and get around 2-4 minutes before my computer disconnects. I don't understand what is going on because I can get the connect and get to a few pages and what not before it just disconnects. I've had the phone right next to the computer and 10 feet away. I can't really mess around with it at home because I live around a ton of wireless networks and the iphonenet won't show up on my iphone. I don't think it has to do with my network card because I've been using many different networks for extended periods just fine.

10. navigates macrumors 6502a

Initially its hard to get the iPhone network to show up at times but the trick is to Add the AddHoc network on the PC which I'm sure you've done correctly and then "Disconnect from any wireless network" on the PC. This enables your PC to show up in the Network list of the phone.

If this does not work, try in this order
    1. turning off the wifi on the iphone (while PC is disconnected from any network)
    2. turn on the wifi. See if the network appears.
    3. If it still does not, go back to the PC, delete the Add Hoc network and recreate another one.
    4. Repeat step 1 & 2.
    5. Once you get the network, slide your finger across and make that PC Add Hoc network your default ON your iphone.

Hope this helps. and if nothing helps. try REBOOT PC and if it still does not work, I'm all out of juice.

Good Luck !

11. shebalord macrumors newbie

You can also change the option to accept "Computer-to-Computer (ad hoc) networks only" inside the "Advanced" tab under "Wireless Network Connection Properties". This will only show ad hoc connections and will be easier to find your PdaNet connection.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

12. Lord Egregious macrumors member

I get connected fine but it seems my connection between my phone and my laptop only lasts 1-4 minutes. Then I have to go and reconnect the ad-hoc network on the computer and also go back in on the phone and join it. I just tried three times and I averaged about 2 minutes per connection.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Update - Bad news, it appears that when using 1.4 connected via USB to my laptop running on batteries, it drains the iPhone battery. As long as the laptop is plugged in, it charges, but on batteries, it drains over the course of several hours...