pdaNet 5.01 VS. MiWi 4.60.14

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FriendOfMac, May 12, 2011.

1. FriendOfMac macrumors newbie

Hi all so I am trying to decide which to go with. I know that originally miwi was the most popular choice but it seems like pdaNet has an advantage with their masked hotspot mode. I was wondering if anyone knew if pdaNet measures up to miwi in terms of speed, battery usage, other functionalities in the newest version of each app. Thanks.

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

3. FriendOfMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome now three to choose from. Anyone know anything regarding advantages and disadvantages of each? Not too much info out there.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

You're right. When I search this forum for PDAnet I only get 421 hits and when I search for MyWi I only get 992.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I installed TetherMe since it activates the Hotspot feature already in iOS 4.3, and I heard it hides your usage from AT&T, which MyWi obviously seems not to do. I am curious what others have to say about the differences though. I never use it, I just want it in case I need it since I cancelled the data plan on my iPad.

6. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have used TetherMe and got a warning from AT&T. So none of the programs hide from them.

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That kind of sucks. Do you think it was just from using ThetherMe and they could tell from the packets or whatever? Or were you using GB's and GB's of data and they just figured you must be tethering?

8. joserpaq macrumors member

Mywi and tetherme are using the native tethering on the phone in one way or another. They both support infrastructure mode and wpa. Pdanet is not as good since it only works with adhoc and wep but that might account for the way that it might hide use. I wouldn't be surprised if the stealth upgrade for mywi forced it to go back to wep and adhoc.