PdaNet Data Usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spyder52, Apr 13, 2009.

1. spyder52 macrumors member

I am on a O2-UK Iphone contract which is claimed to be unlimited, so how many MB/GB can I actually use monthly through PdaNet. Is there a limit they will stop me at? And what about torrents is that ok

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

torrenting wouldn't make sense at 10kb/s but i have used over 1-2GB at a time (car trips, etc) without any problems for the last 6 months

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

how long are these trips? arent there 1 073 741 824 bytes in a GB? i was using it for roughly an hour and i think the most i got was around 200,000 bytes.

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

It may be unlimited, but you did agree to a "fair usage policy" which most internet and mobile phone providers have in place nowadays. I'd say it's fine to use tethering for general browsing etc, but downloading vast amounts of data, as is the case with most torrents, will put a lot of strain on the data network and have adverse affects on other users internet experience. Whilst technically possibly, I'd therefore discourage it.

Fabain

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Data plan and tethering is different. Since the iPhone doesn't have a tethering plan, I'm sure that AT&T will follow the general tethering rules.

I think 5GB is the " invisible cap" for tethering on any phone but I've heard people going over without any extra charges.

Torrenting over tethering? wouldn't a 1GB file take like three or more days to download over a 3G connection??

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

10 hours+ :)