PDAnet Possible Trouble With AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JustinEvil, Nov 7, 2008.

1. JustinEvil macrumors newbie

Hello, I downloaded PDAnet tonight for my jailbroken phone. It works like a charm and is pretty cool. However, I am slightly concerned about what AT&T and my supposed "unlimited" internet usage. Can AT&T do anything about my account if they notice my phone is usign a lot more data than usual? Has anything happened to anyone as a result of tethering that you know of? Just curious, as I wouldn't want to get my account disabled or something if that's what they do.

2. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I used it all last month and my bill looks normal. From what I've heard at&t has a soft cap at 5GB and if you go over that they'll look into your usage.

So just don't abuse it and you'll be fine.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Just stay away from streaming trailers, downloading applications and any torrents.

4. JustinEvil thread starter macrumors newbie

What about videogames like say...World of Warcraft?

5. vexatia macrumors regular

bad idea.

6. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Be sensible, and don't tether any bandwidth hogs.

And yeah... WoW is a bandwidth hog! ;)

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Firstly... rant: Really? Reeeealy? Can't wait to get home to do your raids? haha

Secondly, practical answer. Not only would that use a lot of bandwidth for AT&T to get pissed, but you may also have an issue with Blizzard. They do a lot of restrictions on how you connect in order to maintain an environment without hackers. Connecting through a proxy may throw a red flag for their servers.

8. phalcon macrumors newbie

phalcon

I wondered the same thing. I played WoW for about 30 minutes and found I actually used more data going to google, running a search and reading this post than I did playing WoW for that 30 minutes. (30 Minutes of WoW = about 750k of data DL and about 350K of data UL). I doubt playing for a couple of hours a day would draw the attention of of AT&T based on that amount of usage. The only thing I *would* worry about is AT&T flagging accounts that connect to known Bliz WoW servers. I don't know if it's their policy to monitor and flag those types of connections, though.

I probably wouldn't do any raids or anything like that connecting this way, but if you just wanna do a quick quest or two, or maybe check the AH or your in-game mail I don't think it's a big deal. Like the others say, you just want to stay away from bandwidth hogs like torrents or large streaming files.

9. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

They cant, your connection between your client and blizzard's server's are encrypted. (Correct me if im wrong, I would post on blizzard's forums but i had my account stolen, the game wuz really addicting making it boring anyway.) Bandwidth however, people still have to watch. I don't think anyone have ever went over their 5 G.B yet but if they have, please report back on how ATT responded =).

10. mcorona macrumors newbie

Not only that, but have you tested your ping with pdanet?

It's horrible... as would be expected.

I think it wouldn't be that fun playing WOW with a ping that high.

Good transfer rate, bad ping.

11. phalcon macrumors newbie

phalcon

Ping wasn't *terrible*. Topped out at about 315ms. Again, not something you'd want to run raids with, but if you're just doing a quest here and there or checking the AH it's not bad at all. Considering my ping when I'm connected to my 30Mb/s down - 5Mb/s up cable connection is usually around 40-50ms, 315ms isn't bad at all for a 3G connection.