PDANET tethering is insane

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by treyjustice, Aug 26, 2010.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I didn't know it would be this great. over 4mbps consistently.... im loving this i might cancel my time warner at home...

Attached Files:

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Really, way to buzzkill the guy....those speeds are good, most ping reading suck.

Also, OP, don't be low rent and use your phone tethering as your main interent, thats just cheap and low class IMO, but whatever, to each their own....

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I wouldnt bother using my iphone as a full time router for home internet.
    That can become a pain after a while and cause the iphone to overheat/overused or the battery to be always dead or die alot faster.

5. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

The upload 3G speed on my phone is close to double than my AT&T Uverse internet.

Upload
    Uverse = 0.94 Mbps | iPhone = 1.68 Mbps
    Download
    Uverse = 5.75 Mbps | iPhone = 3.1 Mbps

6. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yeah imjoking about replacing time Warner. I grt about 10mbps with the
    But 4mbps isn't bad definitely good considering in my gfs dorm they get like 1mps I'm sure she wl be using her iPhone to tether a bunch lol

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

as long as you guys are grandfathered on the 'unlimited' plan yes...

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

My iPhone upload speed is twice the speed of my Road Runner Turbo as well.

9. agjake01 macrumors regular

Does PDA Net work with the IP4? If so, what is the best repo to download it from in Cydia?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Search for pdanet on cydia.
    Its included on the preinstalled cydia repos.

11. mjfan82 macrumors regular

12. agjake01 macrumors regular

I downloaded it on my phone through the modmyi repo and couldn't get it to connect to the ad hoc I set up. It would recognize but not connect. Removed it and downloaded it again from the insanely repo. Re-booted after install and kicked it in to safe mode.

Still working at it...

13. agjake01 macrumors regular

The download through the modmyi repo shows my ad hoc but gives me an error "Fail to conncet to ad hoc, err=16". Any suggestions?

The download through the insanelyi repo says I have to restart the phone to allow PDAnet to enable for the first time, restarting does nothing.

thanks

14. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Good question. Doesn't pdanet send out a wifi signal too? (And I'm sure at a cheaper price than MyWi.)

15. navigates macrumors 6502a

PDAnet was the pioneer of tethering apps. It costs $30 for license. You can use it on multiple phones so it works out fine. It works well in my opinion, however requires you to the small pdanet app. Wifi is a pain with PDANet as you have to setup an Adhoc network.

Mywii on the other hand is wifi with DHCP. USB Tethering is native as it uses the built in capability of itunes tethering.

PDAnet is a superior app, but needs an update to get back in the game. If you are fine with their small app, Its by far one of the most stable tethering apps.

PDAnet and MyWii both cannot be installed on the same phone. Mywii installed specifically looks for PDAnet and uninstalls it before installing mywii. The key to get both on your phone is to install Mywii first and then PDAnet.

Hope this clears some of your questions.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very good info.
    I hope PDAnet gets updated or another person comes up with a Mywi type of app and have it available on cydia.

17. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Did you join the ad hoc network through your iphone settings first? That is what I do then when I open PDANET it is already connected.

18. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Mywi is vastly superior to pdanet. Even using your own points, I have no idea how you could recommend pdanet over mywi.... simply because it was around first?

19. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah I have used both and MyWi is a lot better. Although for me, as of now Pdanet is better because of no rock extensions. I used to use MyWi (No Rock) on iOS 3.x. Which doesn't work on iOS 4.

Btw I don't know what u-verse plan you guys are on, but I get 18 down and 2 up.