PDAnet without data plan.. Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duhst, Jun 23, 2011.

1. duhst macrumors newbie

Ello all!

I have a iphone 3g 4.2.1 jailbroken with redsn0w. I DO NOT have any data plan at all on my phone plan as att thinks I have the LG shine as 'phone' since I dont wanna pay the extra charges for the data plan but I can use 3g and edge but it is set as 'pay per use', Since reading up on the new PDAnet for Iphone I was wondering if I could use is the hide my usage feature and have free 3g and edge?? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

No. Att will see data usage. The hide option simply makes AT&T think you're using the iPhone to browse by changing the user agent.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're really serious now?
    Offcourse they can see how much data you're pulling.
    If you don't have a data plan you will be charged per kb used and if you use it a lot expect a huge bill at the end of the month.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Really!? ...

How do you keep at&t from detecting you have an iPhone and adding you to a data plan? I didn't think that was possible.

5. duhst thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, it was worth a try.

Its not hard, just turn off the 3g and edge and only use wifi, no data usage.

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I can see where OP made a mistake. PDAnet could make it seem like they wont detect data usage, but its impossible.

Also for the iphone & ATT thing, how long have you been using it? I also thought that if they saw you were using an iphone, even without using any data, theyd add a data plan to it. Maybe he has the 2g...

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He has an iphone 3G, but you are correct.
    Its not if but when the system will detect he's using an iphone without a data plan and they will automaticly add it to his account.

8. duhst thread starter macrumors newbie

no problems so far... been using the phone for 2 years now. I dont see how they could find out that im using an iphone to begin with? I use my wifes itunes account (she has the Iphone4 with data plan) and i never use 3g or edge only wifi... Only time will tell...