PDAnet

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rmul86, Jul 6, 2011.

1. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does PdaNet use voice or data? Will I get extra charge from my carrier for using PdaNet?
    PdaNet usage is identical to Internet usage on your phone. So it only goes through your data plan. If you have an unlimited data plan (most smartphones do) then you should be covered.

This was from PDAnet's website...Can anyone actually verify this?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

PDAnet is a program that lets you tether your iphones data to other devices.
    Tethering has nothing to do with minutes, it uses data.
    It will use up the amount of data you have per month on your phone. So if you have 2GB data per month for example it will come out of that. If you're on AT&T there has been many cases where they started cracking down on people tethering without paying for an additional tethering package so be carefull.

3. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

u tether. at&t will know no matter what you use(tetherme, mywi,pdanet...etc)

but what will they do? It's up in the air.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    They will text you and email you with a warning telling you not to do it any more.
    If you tether again they will switch you to the $45 plan with 2GB of iphone data and 2GB for tethering for a total of 4GB per month.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I always wondered: What if you were on the 2gb plan and were tethering, lets say Att sends you text messages and eventually switches you to the $45/mo tethering plan. What happens if you just call in the next day and say "switch me to the 2gb plan again"?

Could a customer service rep tell you no?

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If your carrier finds out, they will put you on a tethering plan. It uses data from your carrier and nothing else.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    I doubt they will tell you no but next time you tether again they will automaticly switch you probably.
    It becomes a pain, and I think it probably red flags your account so they will watch you and catch you faster if you do it again.
    Same thing with having an iphone with no data. Once they catch you they will add it on. You can swap sims and call them and have it removed but after that if you stick your sim in an iphone again the system will catch it fast and send you a text that an iphone data plan has been added.

8. rmul86 thread starter macrumors 6502

So despite PDAnet's claims...you all say at&t can still see that I am tethering despite the fact of the above mentioned feature PDAnet has developed?

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Yes, we can read. So all the replies have take that in to consideration.

10. rmul86 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just would like to know how this is possible...Evidence? Perhaps people are receiving messages have used tetherme or mywi in the past? Also anyone remember that app store flashlight app that allowed you to tether? Maybe that prevents at&t from knowing?

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

People have been caught using every known tethering app, no exceptions. Search this forum on the subject and read up, there's a ton of info already posted ad nauseam on this.

Oh--and people trying to sell you their product will tell you anything if they think it will make you buy. It's called "marketing". PDANet might like to think they've conquered the problem, but plenty of users can tell you otherwise.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes many people who used pdanets so called hidden stealth mode still got caught by AT&T.
    Use at your own risk.