PDAs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ash987, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ash987 macrumors newbie

Hi peoples,

I am after the best possible PDA money can buy. All it needs to do is be seemlessly compatible with ical and (if possible) be able to access email and internet.

Cheers in advance,
    Ash

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

There aren't too many PDAs on the market. The Palm OS ones don't play too nice with Mac OS, and Windows Mobile ones are even worse. If you need iCal syncing, your best bet is an iPhone or iPod touch. Neither are really designed to be PDAs, but they would get the job done and would sync perfectly with iCal.

3. ash987 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah - i have an iphone myself but the PDA is for a friend who only needs a personal organiser and so it doesn't really warrant buying an iphone/touch just for that one service.

it seems odd that PDAs are not (generally) supported on macs?

4. elmo151 Guest

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've never had any luck syncing Palm OS to iCal. I've tried with a T|X but it kept failing. There might be some 3rd party software, so I would look into that. I don't know how well it would work with iCal, though.

6. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I have used PDAs from the old Wizard, to Palm (III, V, IIIc), to PocketPC (HP iPaq 3395, 2210).

Every time I've switched, I got attracted to the extra non-organizer programs, but ultimately ended up using each PDA for basic calendar/contacts/etc functions.

Honestly, right now, a jailbroken iPod Touch is the best PDA to use with a Mac. I cannot stand MissingSync (it's hit-or-miss when it works, plus there's been 3 pay updates in the past two years), which is needed with a PocketPC (and can be used with Palm). The Touch's interface for Calendar and Addressbook are very similiar to the iCal/Addressbook counterparts in OSX. Everything is quite seamless and works well.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

ipod touch post-SDK.

I am gleefully waiting the power in my iphone to be unlocked so it can finally become a blackberry-killer for me.

A lot of the competing PDA/Smartphone products are downright hostile to non-Windows platforms.

8. DarkFlash macrumors newbie

I too would love to hear any suggestions reguarding this. I have a Treo 700wx, which I can't get to sync with my iMac, and because I'm in Canada, the iPhone is not an option :mad:

I was thinking of trading it in for the Palm OS version, but after reading this, it seems that this won't help me much either.

Any other suggestions?