Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameron123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone can suggest a program that enables a pfd to be viewed while also adding notes on document? Like I don't want to add text to the actual PDF, rather write stuff next to. A program which would sort of be half PDF viewer, half word processor. Such a program would be very helpful for my uni work. Any suggestions? or am I just dreaming

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
What the OP wants is to put annotations or comments in the pdf which is what Preview can do by default or any PDF viewer nowadays. No need for a full blown PDF editor such as Adobe Acrobat or PDFPen. The only thing that might be a problem: they all save the annotations/notes with the pdf file. This is also useful because others can read your comments if you send them the file.

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Hi cameron123,

I mostly use Skim for annotating PDFs with comments/notes/highlights. You can export the annotations to a text file for saving/email etc.

I also wrote "PDFoo" app which provides a text area on the left & PDF view on the right. You can take notes on the left as you browse the PDF on the right. And, it allows you to create URLs to pages or text inside the PDF which is great for quick lookups. I save my notes with PDFoo URLs in Evernote for anywhere access. PDFoo can also export annotations with URLs back to the page on which they appear (for context lookups).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You could also go halfway around the world if all you want to do is go to your neighbours...

Word has an annotate function. No need to convert it to pdf first if all you want to do is add notes.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
As a fellow student, I assume OP is adding notes to either class PDFs or research articles?

If so it sounds like a previous mention about Preview will work.

jtranter

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
PDF and word processer program in one? Scrivener.

The best program for doing what you wish to do, and a million other things beside, is Scrivener:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

I have used it for years; indeed, Scrivener is the reason I went over to the Mac, and I'm glad I did! More, from their website:
Your research—always within reach
No more switching between multiple applications to refer to research files: keep all of your background material—images, PDF files, movies, web pages, sound files—right inside Scrivener. And unlike other programs that only let you view one document at a time, in Scrivener you can split the editor to view research in one pane while composing your text right alongside it in another. Need to refer to multiple research documents? Call up additional material in floating QuickReference panes. Transcribe an interview or conversation, make notes on an image or article, or just refer back to another chapter, all without leaving the document you’re working on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.