PDF Annotation App?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dannynite, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Dannynite macrumors newbie

I used to use Preview for this purpose, but I realized it has since changed...

I really liked how the "notes" in an older version of Preview (not sure which) were off to the side in the gray area, so as to not obstruct the document itself yet still be visible in its entirety. Currently, I find that notes "minimize" and only show when I click on them. And even if I were to have them always visible, they'll always be on the document and not off to the side away from the material.

Does anyone here know an alternative annotation app that has what I'm looking for? (Similar to the older version of preview with notes off to the side and always visible.) If not, is there any fix in Preview for this? :/ Thanks!

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I think what you're looking for is still available in Preview. Set the side panel to show Highlights and Notes, and then insert a Note (rather than a text box or speech bubble) into your document in a spot that doesn't obscure the body text.

Alternatively, Adobe has added a lot of their commenting tools in the latest version of Reader (11), so you could have a look at that too.

3. Dannynite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but given the nature of the pdfs I'm taking notes on, finding space where the text won't be covered up is rather hard. Not only that, but I'd prefer to see the note in the margin only next to slide it's relevant to, rather than a whole column of all my notes. I've checked out Adobe Reader 11, too. Still not quite what I'm aiming for...

What I'm looking for is like this from the older version of preview. (Not my image.) I want the notes in the gray background but to the left or right of where I want to comment (connected by the line). Unfortunately, I don't think Preview still works this way. A shame, because I really, really liked it that way. I'm having trouble finding any app or software that works like this. :/