Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I see lots of them and they all pretty much cost money.. What are your recommendations? I need to be able to type/summarize things in "like I'm 5" style english for some papers I'm reading and don't know how to keep annotations on the same pdf file without making a word document and basically putting them side by side..

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Not sure if it will meet your needs (or if you already knew about it), but the built-in PDF viewer app Preview has annotation features via the Tools menu, both text on screen and notes, which can be viewed in a sidebar next to the document

onekerato

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
Preview.app has good PDF annotation features, and saves the annotations back into the PDF.

Another popular & free app is Skim (http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/). One good reason to use Skim is that it doesn't modify the original PDF - which is great if you're storing your large PDFs in Dropbox & want your notes to sync fast. You can also export out your annotations to text. I recommend turning on the "Automatically save Skim notes backups" option in Preferences if you're storing in Dropbox. I also use Skim for its freehand annotations - connect a Wacom tablet & speed markup your way through a PDF, just like paper.

I wrote an app "PDFoo" ($3) for situations where you want to link to a particular page in a PDF. For example, the app can build URLs like pdfoo://aragon2013a/figure-13 to link to a particular figure or section in a research paper which you want to access quickly. I store my notes/commentary & these pdfoo URLs in Evernote/TextEdit/Devonthink/Mindnode etc. to build up searchable notes with links back to the PDF for context.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.