PDF Compatibility on iBooks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lbjsong, Jun 8, 2010.

1. lbjsong macrumors regular

PDF Compatibility on iBooks

Don't you guys agree that this update rocks?
    PDF compatibility makes iBooks and iPad so much valuable than before.
    Also opens door to piracy on the other hand.

I been thinking of getting iPad pretty soon because of this feature.
    What do you think?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

PDF viewing has already been available on the iPad via 3rd party apps. I think that support for ePub ebooks is a greater door for piracy.

As for how much this update will "rock" depends upon how it is implemented. I read that pdf books will be on a separate bookshelf. I don't like that. I'd prefer to have control over how books (of any format) are organized on the bookshelves.

So I'll reserve claims of rockitude until it is released.

3. advan031 macrumors 6502

I'm really quite excited about this update as I have a lot of PDF/manuals from work and other things! Right now I use airsharing or goodreader but the ability to bookmark/highlight/note and have the interface of iBook is fantastic news.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

When is it going to be released? Thought Jobs said it was going to be released yesterday.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I believe that he said June 24th.

6. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

It will be great if you can sync folders rather than individual files. I have hundreds of PDF's but iTunes right now is only set up to add files rather than folders. I am not going to scroll through hundreds of now disorganized PDF's on a bookshelf. If Apple wants to make it a true PDF reader on the go then they need to implement a folder system.

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

I see, thanks. Watched that part of the keynote, he says he is talking about it today, but released later this month.

8. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Sounds good to me. Have a number of (legit) PDF books, and putting them on the ebook shelf makes sense (even if it's a separate bookcase, hey - I've got 26 real ones).

9. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

We get all of our coursenotes in PDF or .docx (which I can convert very easily), so this will help me out in the fall semester.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Not that it matters one way or the other to me, but it looked like the PDF section of iBooks doesn't have the page curl implementation, only a swipe.

I agree that I wish I could organize it how I want it. Maybe a personal and work bookshelf, especially when the iBookstore starts getting more technical books.

11. shashwat macrumors member

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually I think it's the 21st along with iOS 4 and iTunes.;) The 24th is iPhone 4 day.