PDF Compatibility??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by peletrane, Jan 25, 2008.

1. peletrane macrumors member

Hello. Let me just say that I love my touch--I don't even listen to music on it--got a Shuffle for that. I happily bought the $20 updates, and I primarily use it as a PDA.

What will it take for it to read PDFs??? Would this be feasible or reasonable to add this feature. I think if it would happen, it'll be final coup.

Just askin'...

2. aki macrumors 6502a

There is a PDF reader app on Installer but it has never been updated and it is very very slow with PDFs of more than a few pages, v limited navigation etc etc. It works if you are desperate but thats all.

I thought a better app or update would come one day but not so far. There is no technical problem tho i dont think.

3. Terberculosis macrumors newbie

it already reads PDFs. I've been using mine as an ebook for weeks. The Safari Browser opens PDFs without a hitch, though if they're more than 5 or 6 megs sometimes it says they're too big.

Cheers!

4. sers macrumors regular

I already read PDFs on my touch online without any problems. Works like a charm.

5. peletrane thread starter macrumors member

But how do you add the PDFs to the touch??? Can you add PDFs to iTunes??

6. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I will have to try this. My fiance, who has a 16gb touch, was asking about reading PDFs on her touch. I told her it didn't work. Should have just told her to click the link. Now will go back and find that site and see if it works.

Thanks.

7. ynotds macrumors newbie

If you are a Mac user, Filemark Maker provides an unusual but simple enough way to embed PDFs or higher res graphics inside Safari bookmarks which you then sync.

PDFs which come as, say, a booklet of lyrics for an album can be added to iTunes but they cannot be checked and I archive way too many podcasts to ever be able to test what would happen if I unchecked the "Sync only checked songs and videos" option.

You could potentially render them and add them (page by page) to iPhoto and sync from there, but that is way too ugly even before it suffers the resolution limits imposed by iTunes.

8. xlopez macrumors member

As some others have said, the easiest way is to open them through Safari. Safari has a built-in PDF reader just like the Mac OS X counterpart.

9. drawfork macrumors newbie

where there's a will, there's a PDF

I also was delighted to find out about accessign pdfs as mail attachments with the new mail widget. But the first time I tried it, the attacment (a pc-generated pdf, presumably) came in blank, worthless, a vanilla page of emptiness, like a hollow and meaningless life devoid of meaning. Ack. I hate that. So I went back to my Mbook and re-opened/re-saved the attachment in Preview, then mailed that attachment to my gmail acct and retrieved it on the Touch. Voila and bingo.

10. yunone macrumors newbie

maybe i am missing a step here..

i have a jailbroken IPT with 1.11 and pdfviewer installed, but cant find out how to get my pdfs onto the IPT. i have an upcoming plane ride and would love to get my german language pdfs on the IPT so i can read them during my trip. Reading pdfs is fine through the browser, but there is no WiFi on the plane so i am SOL. anyone have a tip on getting my pdfs on the IPT so i can use pdfviewer to read them?

thanks in advance

11. drawfork macrumors newbie

getting pdfs into IPT

Younone,
    Do you have the update with email widget? I just did a test here by turning off wifi access, then opening up the email app., then opening an already downloaded message that I knew contained a pdf attachment. And, yes, the pdf was there, accessible from memory (with no wifi access). So at least that gives you one way to get the pdfs onboard. Good luck.

12. vandlism macrumors 6502

I just email any relevant PDFs to myself and keep them in my gmail account. They don't take up space and are available anytime I have wi-fi access.