pdf compression

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wkdavis, Nov 7, 2008.

1. wkdavis macrumors newbie

When I create a pdf, the files are enormous. Much larger than necessary. With PCs using Adobe, you could control the quality of the pdf and thus compress the files. Is there any such feature in Apple?

Also, I got a 3.1meg pdf from a client. I opened the 45 page doc and deleted 31 pages leaving a 14 page document. I hit save, and it became 13.8 megs...

So, why do files grow when I delete content, and how do I compress a pdf?

I looked at Acrobat for the Mac, but it is $400 and that seems a tad absurd if there is a workaround.

Thanks a ton,
    Keith

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'm assuming these files open with the Preview application? Not sure why the edited file would be larger...
    If you click on File->Save As instead of just :apple:+S you should be able to access a quality/compression slider. I don't have a Tiger machine to check but I know this is the version of Preview for Leopard.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This takes a bit of one-time effort, but you can create filters in ColorSync that reduce file size with image compression (and DPI reduction). First open the file in Preview, Print, then select ColorSync Utility from the PDF popup on the Print dialog box. The file will now open in the utility, with the available filters in the popup at the bottom of the window. If you click on the ColorSync icon at the top of the window, you'll get a box that allows you to edit or create filters. Once the filters have been saved, they will be available directly from your Save As menu in Preview.