pdf download shows index only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neo738, Apr 14, 2011.

1. neo738 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I've done some googling about my problem but haven't quite got a solution yet

I'm trying to download a PDF of an official publication from a reputable website.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/aip.asp

When I click agree at the bottom of the page, then click on "aip book", then on any of the four sections - my mac opens the section but only the table of contents, the contents appears to be linked to sections I can navigate to but nothing happens.

I've heard that if I can use a OSX 10.6 machine and then open safari in 32bit mode then that works. I don't have access to such at the moment. If that is the case isn't safari on my core 2 duo OSX 10.5.8 machine 32bit anyway?

Forgive for bringing up an old top I have done my reading here, here and here.

All help appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is odd. Do you know how to check which mode Safari is running in? If not, quit Safari if it's running, then go to your Applications folder and locate Safari. Select it and perform a Get Info (File -> Get Info or :apple:+I on the keyboard). In there, you should see several checkboxes in the top pane - those are what you're looking for.

3. neo738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is screenshot of my safari info

Attached Files:

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks. Your settings are as they should be, so that's reassuring. Do you have a downloaded copy of the PDF in question? If you do, try opening it with Adobe Reader instead of Preview. Adobe Reader may tell you more about what's wrong, or even work where Preview does not.

5. neo738, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

neo738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached is screenshot using adobe acrobat to open one of the 4 sections of the downloadable pdf.

I have used parallels to open the pdf and it seems each of the 4 sections is then divided into multiple sections(eg: gen 1.1, gen 1.2, gen 1.3 etc) to make downloading the pdf more troublesome.
    I guess I could go through and open each and every section and then combine them all to make one pdf but I want everyone at my work to be able to view this without windows. (I also don't want to admit that there are some things I might actually need windows for)

One thing I have seen at the bottom of the webpage is;

"Note: The AIP Book requires that you have Adobe Reader configured to open PDF files within your browser. For assistance please check the Adobe Support Knowledgebase."

Yes this works for a PC. But I want to find have a way for mac to everything a PC can.

Attached Files:

6. neo738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found an extension for chrome browser for mac.

IE Tab

You can open effectively an Internet Explorer tab in chrome and open a page as if it were IE on a PC. You can then open any web page that might not have been tested effectively for non IE users :)

Easily download the PDF in question here and possibly other PDF download issues.